cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in speed from 1Gig

MckeithyB
On our wavelength

I've recently upgraded to 1Gig. Today at 3.45 speeds went from 960Mbps to 3-4

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2c00c80a55e5101696ee5025fb839bf0a0880391-24-06-2021

I reported it, and apparently there's a problem with the modem (hub4) , although I'm not convinced it was even investigated. Anyhow an engineer is booked for Monday.

All the metrics on the modem status look good apart from the docsis 3.1 QAM1024.

Problem in my area (KT5) or genuine problem with the new modem?

Wired connection only.Modem mode. All the usual problem solving steps undertaken.

Cheers

Keith

50 REPLIES 50

Stormphoenix
On our wavelength

Snap , same issue (RH10) 

Doubt its your modem.

Stormphoenix
On our wavelength

Wow, it could be the same graph. Thanks for the confirming. 

What irks me is that undoubtedly this has already been spotted by their core networks team, so why waste time making us jump through hoops with 1st line?

My guess is that it's a peering issue as I'm able to watch 4k YouTube.

Good spot - I tested this and i can watch 4k Youtube, Netflix etc without issue, but I can't download anything or play any games.

The Virgin site is not showing any network issues though, so I've no idea what's going on. I see no point in phoning their call center as it sounds like something more fundamental on Virgin's end and they will have no idea what I'm taking about. Anyone from Virgin about on here who can escalate?

I also have a similar graph - 

Live graph 

PS: My download speed is down by a factor of 50 but my upload speed is normal.

MckeithyB
On our wavelength

All back to normal today - at least I can work. 

So "There's a problem with your modem" really means "I don't know what the problem is, and the quickest way to get this ticket out of my queue is to assign it to someone else"

Have cancelled the engineer appointment. 

Same issue again today, about the same time.  

Already down to 3 MB and dropping fast. Can someone from Virgin please comment? Your service status is showing no issues when there clearly is a big one. Again, it is not affecting streaming services such as Youtube and Netflix, just everything else.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Stormphoenix - you have jumped in to someone else's thread that has been sorted for them so VM responses may well be slower - always better to start your own - or have you done that already?

VM can take a few days to get to all threads on here - so....

Firstly, as well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hey,

Only jumped in on it as we have the exact same issue at the same time, I didn't want to have duplicate threads on the same thing. I can spin it off onto its own thread if needed? I checked the number and it didnt list any issues.