cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still M100 download speed after upgrade to M350

mikesw14
Joining in

Recent upgrade to M350. Upload now faster (36Mbps) but download capped to previous speed under M100 (90Mbps). This is after resetting the modem (hub 3) and connecting by ethernet cable.

VM speedtest 2022-03-05 at 15.37.02.png

13 REPLIES 13

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Are you testing with a PC? is the link speed 1Gb?

Try a new CAT6 cable
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Mac based. Hub 3 in modem mode > Airport Time Capsule router > ethernet cable to iMac, WiFi to MacBook Pro and iPhone. 91 down 36 up on both iMac and MBPro. (76 down 30 up on iPhone)

I don't think it is a cable issue. The speed graphs are so steady and hard capped.

Hi, what speed are you getting when the hub is in router mode with airport disconnected?  When in router mode log into hub settings > Advanced > Wireless > Wireless signal.  Make sure on 5GHz that 20/40/80 is enabled.  If not Disable channel optimization and select 20/40/80 and apply settings, your Wi-Fi will drop out for a bit, when its reconnected enable Channel optimization and apply settings.  Then log out using the logout option Top right of screen

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @mikesw14

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have been having some issues with your speeds. 

Could you advise on the questions asked above? This will help us gain an understanding of if its an issues with your router or the speeds we are providing. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

(I'm back trying to solve this...)

I removed the Apple router and switched the Hub 3 to WiFi and managed 150Mbps down. I have now got a new router (ASUS RT-AX92U) and added that to the hub after switching back to Modem mode. The speed test now is still the same as before, i.e. approaches but never exceeds 100Mbps whether using the new router WiFi or ethernet connection.

Perhaps try a speed test with : https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

the results will show :

1) the speed to the Virgin Media Hub (should reflect M350)
   2) the speed achieved by the end device

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Check on the Asus that QoS isnt activated - its a common cause of reducing speeds on single connections.

is that over a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable? - old ones can and do fail - and often then drop to 100Mbps.

What Upload speeds do you get will be ~10 if still on a 100 package and ~35Mbps if correctly on a 350 package

Wifi speeds may be limited if its connecting on the 2.4 GHz Band

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the pointer to SamKnows. I have signed up and will wait to see if I can get a white box.

Thanks

A white box is not needed, the VM Hub3/4/5 should be sufficient to run a Samknows Realspeed test.
Below on the right is PC connected via 2.4Ghz WiFi just to show what happens where speed is lost after the Hub3 on M125 service.

Client62_0-1669224215422.png