forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Lycanthrope
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Steam being throttled?

I upgraded to the M500 package a few days ago after it became unbundled. I was on the M350 package before then.

Before being with Virgin I spent a number of years with Hyperoptic on a synchronous 1Gbps connection, and before that, a number of years in Sweden with Bahnhof, also on a synchronous 1Gbps package.

I am well-aware of how broadband connections work, my PCs are all connected to a router via ethernet and the router is bridged with the Virgin Hub 3.0 which is, of course, in modem mode.

The connection itself is demonstrably fine, stable and I have no qualms with it:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9693243219

However, Steam downloads are clearly being throttled. I'm not achieving any greater than 40MB/s (320Mbps) out of it. It has sweet nothing to do with congestion on Steam's servers, decompression of the Steam downloads/installs, the games I download, my hardware, my setup, or local congestion, and has been consistent and can consistently be demonstrated.

The only conclusion that I'm left with is that Virgin, for whatever reason, throttles Steam downloads. Even an Ubuntu torrent has the decency to crawl close to 50MB/s.

Steam downloads that very comfortably reached my 1Gbps line speed on Hyperoptic are barely scraping two thirds of half that line speed with Virgin.

So... what's up, Virgin? I thought you didn't throttle? Or is your infrastructure just inadequate for the packages you sell?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Steam being throttled?

Or your bandwidth is being limited by Steam due to COVID.

Like Sony and the like are doing. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Lycanthrope
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That makes absolutely no sense.

It would also be uniformly applied from Steam's end to all users.

It's not.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Steam offers two download server locations in the UK. Try changing from London to Manchester (or vice versa).

0 Kudos
Lycanthrope
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Been there, done that.

Fun fact: use Resource Monitor to discover the server IPs and look them up. They're located in the same data centre 🙂

Both are located in London.

The download rate is consistent.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Lycanthrope wrote:

It would also be uniformly applied from Steam's end to all users.

It's not.

Says who?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Lycanthrope
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Says people who are downloading at their line speed.

Or was that too obvious?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Lycanthrope wrote:

Says people who are downloading at their line speed.

Or was that too obvious?

Well no.

You provided no backup for your claims.

0 Kudos
Lycanthrope
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"Claims"? Which "claims"?

That Valve isn't throttling Steam's data centres? Have an official announcement: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/2155476542897476692/

They've increased the scheduling windows between automatic client-side updates and have advised users that they've the option to throttle their own bandwidth through the client if they so wish. That would be it. This has no effect whatsoever on download speeds achievable from their data centres.

In more meaningful news relevant to my post:

Annotation 2020-07-02 003448.png

I was downloading Yakuza and reached my line-speed. Curiously, this occurred after midnight. Needless to say I'm now curious whether or not Virgin is throttling during certain hours. The testing shall continue.

Edit:

@gary_dexter wrote:

Or your bandwidth is being limited by Steam due to COVID.

Like Sony and the like are doing. 

Also, potentially worth mentioning--you made the claim that my bandwidth is being limited by Steam due to COVID-19. I believe the onus is, in fact, yours to provide evidence for such a claim, isn't it?

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'd have thought that the problem you describe was a traffic routing issue, and a good chance it is outside of VM control, being (unintentionally) throttled on some switch, or held back by a temporary loss of trunk capacity?  We saw something similar with EA servers a while back.  That problem caused a lot of grief with VM customers, after much checking it was established it wasn't VM's problem, and eventually it got fixed - not that that helps you.

VM don't throttle any services that I'm aware of, and there's no reason they should want to.

Can you change your Steam region to mainland EU and see if that makes a difference? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks