cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability and speed issue

RandomR
Tuning in

Hi,

Just wanted to see if someone from VM can check my connection. The online test your kit doesn't seem to be working at the moment 

I've noticed a dip in my speeds plus my broadband quality monitor has horrendous ping suddenly

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1f2b7bb59d353b8bd7c08f9cbd40a1c6f8...

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The red fringe is not good.

What Hub model is it? In modem or router mode?

What other devices are plugged into the Hub/Router on ethernet cables?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hub 3 in modem only mode - router being an Amplifi HD. Nothing has changed on the setup since this introduction into the red spikes in ping.

Just the usual devices connected via ethernet: CCTV, Alarm etc.

Edit; managed to do a test on my line via the online status checker. Although initially shows as no issue with my service, after doing the test it states there is an issue but with no indication if/when it will be rectified 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @RandomR 

Try the automated Service Status number on 0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues (if known) down to postcode level along with estimated fix date and time.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
One other option - see this..

There is one other option, there have been several threads on here recently where similar BQM latency/packet drop problems were eventually pinned down to a dodgy piece of connected kit. Bad connectors on ethernet cables and faulty network switches being high on the list of suspects

What I advised was... if you run the BQM for 24h to get a picture of the issues (you have done this) - and then unplug all the ethernet cable connections from the Hub and just let it run - overnight is best - then in the morning look at the BQM and see if it has cleaned up. If it has - plug the devices back in one at a time for an hour or two until the problem reappears and that should indicate where to look for what is causing the issues

Examples. - See message 12 in the first and 13 in the second.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-dropping/td-p/4781287/p...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-Connection/td-p/5069984/page/2

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

As a test for Docsis to VM DNS run CMD on wired PC with
ping -n 200 194.168.4.100
---------------------------------------------------------------

Just called up VM. Apparently a damaged cable causing the issue. Started last week Tuesday and still the ETA for the fix is tomorrow 9am approx...

Not a good sign. I'm guessing VM don't provide compensation for degraded quality as opposed to pure lack of service?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...
---------------

--------------------
John
--------------------

Good Afternoon @RandomR, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and I'm sorry to hear of the recent issues in the local area.

I've been able to look into this for you, and it appears that the fault is still present and is effecting approximately 25% of the customers in the local area.

Our team is on the case and are doing all they can to ensure this is fixed as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi there,

The issue was resolved yesterday for a limited period of time it seems. My packet loss disappeared. But the issue seems to have returned today again.

Super annoying on zoom calls.

What's the ETA fix, as it's nearly approaching a week of this issue being present.