cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed

MaryamBa
Joining in

I've run a speedtest as requested by your staff on twitter and below is the speed I have when using your booster eventhough I am paying for your maximum speed package for almost a year now. This is way below minimum gauranteed speed and I am not happy about it.  I want to cancel my contract without exit fee as for the past 9 months, i did everything you suggested including getting booster (which I had to pay additional monthly fee for it), and stayed your customer service line for hours and I kept getting passed around and never resolved the issue.

I need my contract to be cancelled.

e3237113-f76f-4271-80e6-60af1594183d.JPG

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok to get to the bottom of this can first forget wifi and that testing site and can you do this.....

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MaryamBa

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to see the low speed. 

You're not able to cancel the contract via this contact method. You'll need to contact the cancellations team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 options 4 and 3. If you are in a contract with more than 30 days to run, there would be an early disconnection fee charged but they'll be able to go through that with you.

I have done a system check today. The first thing it tells me is the signal level is lower than expected on the pod. Do you split the WiFi bands on your router? If so, please don't and also enable smart WiFi, as splitting them will render the Pod meaningless. 

I've done further checks as well, the upstream channels are also at the high end and also there's a potential SNR (signal to noise ratio) issue on one of the channels. I'd like to get a technician visit to attend the property to have a look into both things. 

I will go ahead and send a PM now to get this arranged.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi,

I honestly do not want to deal with this anymore and don't want any technician to visit my house.  It has been months and unlimited hours wasted on your customer services line to get this sorted.

I need this contract CANCELLED by Dec 1st WITHOUT exit fee cause you have not delivered what you have promised for months and been charging me. 

Please confirm this cancellation fee will be waived and my contract will be cancelled on 1st Dec. 

Thanks 

Maryam

Poor speeds over wifi is not (normally) considered grounds for release from contract without penalty, but poor service or a history of problems can be.  I'll suggest how you might take this forward below, but bear in mind you need to show that you have had a valid problem or problems, and that VM have not resolved these reasonably and promptly.

VM may choose to agree to your request to release from contract without penalty, or they may refuse.  Generally they seem to refuse, but it is initially their choice.  If they refuse, you will need to read and follow the VM Consumer Complaints Code of Practice.  Raise a formal complaint, using the online form in My Virgin Media. Make sure that it is clear, starts from the beginning, includes as much detail as possible on the contacts you've had with VM, including (if relevant) any rudeness or being cut off or disconnected. It should also specify exactly what outcomes you want.  Make sure the complaint states that if VM will not agree to your requested resolution, that they issue an immediate deadlock letter, which you'll need if you want to avoid delays taking them matter up with the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  Going to CISAS (who operate in a similar manner to for example the Energy Ombudsman) is not a guarantee that they will uphold your complaint, but they will examine the matter and make a decision.  If it is in your favour, that will be binding on VM.  If CISAS decide that the company have not acted unreasonably then you'll not be charged any fee, but you won't be released from contract without penalty.  In which case I'm sorry, but all you can do is either pay the termination charge, or sit out the remainder of the contract.

If the forum staff can grab this and get it sorted that will be quicker and easier for both parties.  In the meantime, don't stop the direct debit - that'll damage your credit rating for years to come and no matter how strongly you feel about the matter, it won't influence VM's decision making, but it will cause a world of difficulty for you, as well as exposing you to debt collection agencies hounding you for the non-payment, early termination charges, late payment surcharges, debt collection charges, and possibly non-returned equipment charges.

Thanks for your post @MaryamBa, can you please confirm if you've been able to have a speed complaint opened, where we would seek to monitor the speed going into the property?

This would deem if early disconnection fees can or cannot be waived in the scenario of an early disconnection request

Kindest regards,

David_Bn