cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed variation from 2 to 60 mbps last few weeks (should be 100+) & abysmal tech support

Huxley123
On our wavelength

So after 1 hour on the phone and the first tech service person hanging up on me (first stopping me mid sentence to chop up stuff for her dinner for 4 minutes!) and when i asked to speak to someone that can actually help me, rather than acknowledging that there is a problem and what "do you want me to do about it?"  * wax on, wax off* nothing like talking to someone in Disconnections to get something done.  have an engineer coming to look, but speed over 1 minute goes from 55 to 2 to 30 to 18 to 65 mbps...  Upload foes from 10 to 0.5 to to 5 to 3 to 10. been going on for at least 2 weeks as i noticed Teams audio was dropping during important calls. Have reset (by pin) the Hub 4 three times now and this seems to be the only answer the phone support has... even though i said i had done it 10 minutes earlier, the next person asks me to do it again! Apart from being put on hold for someone's dinner, and being hung up on, i'm pretty sur ethe help line used to be actually helpful and could see my connection remotely...  Any tips on what to do to avoid the need for a service engineer to visit? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The VM Hubs are very basic and the WiFi coverage is generally rather poor.   Some people find them adequate, but many do not and invest in their own WiFi equipment.  

If you have a number of devices connected, they all have to share the available signal and it will often not be shared equally. 

It's possible that the Hub4 you have is not performing as well as it should,  and if you have an offer of a technician visit then certainly take it up. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

100Mbps is the speed you should get with an ethernet connection.  Are you testing it that way, or over WiFi ?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Huxley123
On our wavelength

True, but none of my laptops or phones have ethernet ports. Wasn't asked that question by tech support. Even standing next to the HUB 4 makes little difference. 

so measuring via wifi... expect 20-30 mbps drop, but not down to 2, 10, 20, 30 mbps standing next to the router...

last night was getting 120+ on my laptop (after getting 2-60 during the day)... tonight, same spot, same time, 7mbps... 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, WiFi speeds are very variable.  Lots of local factors can change them.  There are some things you can do to improve the coverage. 

But it would be good to check that they are giving you the full speed you pay for.  Can you borrow an ethernet device to do a proper test?

- jpeg1

Huxley123
On our wavelength

So got hold of LAN adaptor. 111 MBPS! If I connect to wIFI 15, 23, 65, 42 MBPS over 4 speed checks (standing right next to the Hub 4). Never had this problem before. Same issue on 2 laptops (one work with high security and one personal) plus two phones. So it seems an issue with the wifi signal,

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The VM Hubs are very basic and the WiFi coverage is generally rather poor.   Some people find them adequate, but many do not and invest in their own WiFi equipment.  

If you have a number of devices connected, they all have to share the available signal and it will often not be shared equally. 

It's possible that the Hub4 you have is not performing as well as it should,  and if you have an offer of a technician visit then certainly take it up. 

- jpeg1

Huxley123
On our wavelength

Fixed the problem. Went into the router settings and played around. Disabled 2.7 and now back to 100+ MBPS on wifi. Is it a problem/fault with my HUB4 and i need a replacement? Did not have these problems before or at least not noticed them. Really don't know why the phone tech service suggest A) plug into ethernet B) change the settings of the router, ie turn off 2.7. Would have saved an hour of my life. I'm not a technophobe but i would assume  the vast majority of broadband users wouldn't know how to 1st access their hub and 2nd what the settings mean. 

Thanks for your help jpeg1. You should get a job at VM! You can still do your everyday household chores on side whilst talking to customers 🙂 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Well done for sorting it.

A lot of the users have found like you that the "smart WiFi" is anything but smart and have had to make manual changes.

Just bear in mind that the 5GHz band generally has less range and less penetration through walls than 2.4GHz.  The lower frequency band can have its uses. 

- jpeg1