cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed upgrade has slowed me down

MH1985
Tuning in

Hello,

Received an unsolicited email from VM saying I'm being upgraded from my M200 package to M250.. for free! (I expect a price increase to top that off soon too..)

Knew it was too good to be true, so I did a speed test before resetting my router, alas 210mbps down and 21 up, very happy with that its just what I need. Reboot my router as advised and now I'm getting 36mbps down and 25 up! Wow! 

Phoned customer/technical support asking to put me back on M200 as I don't want the M250 package as its slow, and they said they can't change it back and that I need to wait 24 hours for the changes to take affect and that there is some technical upgrades happening which might be causing it go to perform slowly. I worked in the IT industry for 8 years, 2 of which was with a broadband company and that old chestnut was used when we had no answer to speed issues. 

What gives VM? This is very frustrating, and don't give me some rubbish about rebooting my router and removing devices as it was just fine before this stupid upgrade. 

16 REPLIES 16

bk881
On our wavelength

Is anyone from Virgin going to actually respond to this thread? Seems as though quite a few of us are having the same issues since the 'free upgrade'.

My speeds were consistently at the maximum before on M100 on wi-fi and now it I'm rarely getting over 80mbps. Might as well just put me back on what I had before. 

An update on mine:

This morning and this afternoon it was at 15mbps, some friends came over this evening and eager to show off my new speeds compared to their 5G it was hitting 230mbps, right this second its hitting 260mbps, so no idea what is happening.

As you pinhole reset, log into your router and make sure 5ghz is enabled in wireless signal and that its on automatic channel etc, sometimes that gets disabled and 2ghz just doesn't cut the mustard with multiple devices on it

Sorry my problem has become more of a problem for you 😞 

bk881
On our wavelength

Don't be sorry at all. Thank you for starting this thread and at least we know we're not the only ones with this problem.

I tried pinhole resetting it a few days ago and the whole 5ghz thing just made things way worse (really erratic speeds from 0.5mbps- 135mbps). Mine is pretty much consistently at 80mbps now; not the end of the world but considering it was consistently about 100mbps before this, just makes it hard to swallow and unacceptable. Thanks for nothing Virgin. If you think I'm going to waste an hour of my life calling up for someone to tell me to reset my router and read off a script you've got another thing coming. 

Are you guys just reporting wifi problems not broadband problems? you not testing wired/ethernet performance?

Wired and WiFi, both displaying the same problems (or were)

My original point was that before the upgrade (a test which I did precisely before I reset the router as instructed) I was getting 210mbps, after the reset it was hanging around mid 30's and even went down to 1.

They forgot to include the words" Than a dial up modem"

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Maybe everyone in the area had the same idea with upgrade and run speed test 100 times!

---------------------------------------------------------------