cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed upgrade has slowed me down

MH1985
Tuning in

Hello,

Received an unsolicited email from VM saying I'm being upgraded from my M200 package to M250.. for free! (I expect a price increase to top that off soon too..)

Knew it was too good to be true, so I did a speed test before resetting my router, alas 210mbps down and 21 up, very happy with that its just what I need. Reboot my router as advised and now I'm getting 36mbps down and 25 up! Wow! 

Phoned customer/technical support asking to put me back on M200 as I don't want the M250 package as its slow, and they said they can't change it back and that I need to wait 24 hours for the changes to take affect and that there is some technical upgrades happening which might be causing it go to perform slowly. I worked in the IT industry for 8 years, 2 of which was with a broadband company and that old chestnut was used when we had no answer to speed issues. 

What gives VM? This is very frustrating, and don't give me some rubbish about rebooting my router and removing devices as it was just fine before this stupid upgrade. 

16 REPLIES 16

mikereeves
Joining in

Similar here - though different upload download speeds:
Before "speed" upgrade - 210mbps download 20mbps upload
After "speed" upgrade - 180mbps download 10mbps upload

Haven't bothered calling support as I don't want to answer the questions from the script they follow - hopefully they will fix it and luckily 180mbps is still good enough for our usage.

It's just so frustrating, I was on M350 before and that was all over the place, I downgraded my whole package which in turn reduced me to the M200 broadband and it had been so stable and consistent that I was actually content.

I'm just sick of doing this dance twice a year with VM, wasting what finite time I have on this planet being on hold whilst they find ways to spring a price increase on my service, then cloak and dagger me when they give me a speed "upgrade" 

Today has not been a good day for me, as I'm sure you can tell 😄 

Baff67
Tuning in

I too have benefitted from this wonderful offer.
I did as requested and rebooted the router (Hub3) and was, at 07:30, getting speeds just over 250Mbps, nearer to 280 occaissionally. Great

Short lived. Here I am barely two hours later, in the same spot as before getting those speeds and I am now at 31. Yes that's right thirty one - I thought I'd type it just in case you thought I missed a zero off the end.

I'm the only once at home so I haven't got family streaming TV and playing online games.

Are these higher speeds only available for a five minute window each day?

Thanks Virgin. No really, I thank you from the heart of my bottom.

bk881
On our wavelength

Same here. Was on the M100 package before and was getting the max speeds. Since this 'free upgrade' my download speeds have dropped to 60-80mbps. I've rebooted the router, pinhole reset it and nothing. Really can't be bothered to call up; no doubt they will get me to reset the thing again and faff around with the ethernet cable. They were close to useless a few years ago when I had a fault with the new router (0.5mbps on wifi; I doubt they will care now. 

@bk881 wrote:

Same here. Was on the M100 package before and was getting the max speeds. Since this 'free upgrade' my download speeds have dropped to 60-80mbps. I've rebooted the router, pinhole reset it and nothing. Really can't be bothered to call up; no doubt they will get me to reset the thing again and faff around with the ethernet cable. They were close to useless a few years ago when I had a fault with the new router (0.5mbps on wifi; I doubt they will care now. 

You guys with issues how many US channels do you have on your hub.

It seems this may have been rolled out to areas that havent had the docsis upgrades which means things potentially slow down due to increased congestion?.

R2_83
Tuning in

Same here, down to 150 atm but at least its still working

Same for me.... I am on 200..

the day I had the mail and rebooted the router was getting 280ish..

now yesterday and today its around 100 every time i check..

edit

rebooted and now its back to 280.. weird

I'll reboot it again when I get home from work, last straw for VM if its not fixed, its not even the slow speeds its the poor latency that is giving me grief, can't keep a stable connection and websites end up timing out. 

• Did the speed test from VM's website and it came back 1.1mbps 😂 also the quote at the bottom...
  • 20221103_134004.jpg

bk881
On our wavelength

Things have been even worse since I pinhole reset the hub. Speeds have varied from 0.5mbps to 90mbps. Getting this 'intermittent signal issue' error when I do the online checker - does anyone know what this means and how do you report faults online?