Menu
Craig75
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Speed issues

I have vm broadband 350 but on speed tests I'm only getting around the 140 mark and I'm hard wired into pc

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed issues

Hi Craig

Thanks for getting in touch with us and welcome to the community.

I appreciate you letting us know that you are struggling to get the speeds when you are hard wired into a PC.

Can you let us know:

• Does your PC have a 1Gb adaptor or bigger in it as this can affect speeds if it's lower.
  • Do you have a Cat5 Ethernet cable or higher connected?
  • What times of the day does this happen.
  • Have you run wireless speed tests too to see if this is affected as well and if so what are the results.

I've run a check on your account and cannot see anything that would impact the speeds. I'm wondering if it was due to congestion that was a result of everyone being home for Christmas as you posted on the 27th? It can be a contributing factor.

Let me know

Take care

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Craig75
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm using cat 6 cable into a custom built £2000 pc 

Craig75
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Since I have had vm my highest test was 221 and i have had it for over 3 yrs now

Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

Thanks for getting back in touch with us.

I've popped a Pm to you and I'd like to see if there's anything further we can do for you.

You can find this on the top right.

Kind regards.

Kaz

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Notatech
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I don't hold out much hope for your problem being solved. I have been paying for 200meg presentation for 18 months or more and most of the time the best I get is around 80meg. I have had several engineering visits which start off by the engineer testing the speed with his Virgin supplied phone and getting a reading in excess of 200meg. When I ask him to test with his personal phone he gets the same reading as I do which in most cases is around 80meg, strange that! After blaming my connected devices, checking the cable (which has all been replaced) and going to "the box". a test will eventually read in excess of 200meg, job done. No, because in a short time, the reading will be back to around 80meg because it is an intermittent fault. Engineers have complained about the amount of time they are spending on my .... MY ... fault but when I insist that they wait a few minutes, the reading drops and the process starts again. They even phone a supervisor but once again as the reading gets to 200meg., it's time to abandon ship. There is another fault of intermittent drop off, a fault that has also occurred when an engineer has been in my home, in fact, this is the second reply I am typing to your thread. The first dropped out when I tried to post. I think the problem is the cheap hub that they supply. If I could get a broadband supplier that could provide 100meg in our neighbourhood I would ditch Virgin.

0 Kudos
Craig75
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank u for the heads up 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Have you booted into safe mode a (gigabit port enabled) computer/laptop and connected it with a new Cat6a cable to the Hub that is set to modem mode and then tested the speeds on 2 different browsers at speedtest.net?  If not, can you do that. 

Since being on here there have been several examples where DL speeds have been reduced due to issues with the customers hard/software and not VM's network.  Here are just three recent examples ...

Dell speed problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Download-speeds/td-p/3894056

Chrome speed problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

Turbo LAN App problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-speed/td-p/3896582

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Craig75
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've done all that  used to different pcs laptops latest mobile phones Android  the highest I've got when I first got vm is around 220 ish and now struggle to get 140 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Craig75
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've done all that  used to different pcs laptops latest mobile phones Android  the highest I've got when I first got vm is around 220 ish and now struggle to get 140  just a guess but maybe the router is up the shoot 

0 Kudos