Menu
Snatos
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Speed is always sub par and wifi keeps dropping

Hi.

For a very long time now, my internet speed hasn't been what is being advertised.

While on 50mb I was getting 30, moved up to 75 started getting 50 and finally I'm on 100mb and get an average of 50/75mb.

Also, my wireless throughout the day just keeps dropping and I have to reconnect my devices multiple times a day.

I was able for a while to cope with this by turning the virgin hub into a modem and using my own router so the WiFi connection was more stable but the speeds were never good enough so I gave up on that fix as well.

This is now getting to the point where I'm extremely fed up of paying for a service I am not getting and having to reconnect devices multiple times a day.

It seems that Virgin did not forget I am a customer. I received an email that I will have an increase of my monthly payment of about 8%. At least I'm getting an increase of something, am I right?

I have tried the online chat but the poor guy was of no help, reading from a script and telling me to do all the things any person with common sense would have already done and when he couldn't help me, just told me to hard reset my router and call it  day.

Could a virgin representative contact me please to discuss this problem please?

Thank you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed is always sub par and wifi keeps dropping

@Snatos wrote:

Hi.

For a very long time now, my internet speed hasn't been what is being advertised.

While on 50mb I was getting 30, moved up to 75 started getting 50 and finally I'm on 100mb and get an average of 50/75mb.

Also, my wireless throughout the day just keeps dropping and I have to reconnect my devices multiple times a day.

I was able for a while to cope with this by turning the virgin hub into a modem and using my own router so the WiFi connection was more stable but the speeds were never good enough so I gave up on that fix as well.

Are the speeds you quote over wifi or ethernet cable ?  What device are you using to do the speed check ? Also, are you on a Hub3 - if so try this first.  Do a modified pinhole reset - as per message 12 (below thread) - it has helped a lot of people with wifi issues this week.  Also worth doing after that, is going into the Hub3 settings and disabling "channel optimisation" and renaming the ssid's of the 2.4/5 GHz networks - this cleans up lot of wifi issues.  If your not sure how to do it - just post back.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Newish-hub-3-WIFI-incorrect-password/td-p/3...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Snatos
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

My hub is the super hub 2.(I think, the one with the glowing logo on the bottom right corner).

Those speeds are done through a wired connection.

Through WiFi most of the times I cannot get a straight answer. I can have 60mb on one test and do another straight away and get 20mb..

I have tried running the speed check through multiple browsers, using multiple speed test tools etc.

This is a test I just made.

The upload speed seems to be very constant (between 5.5 and 6mb) but the download speed can be anything.

It's just slow, If I try to play a game online it just lags. It's bad

https://gyazo.com/2f93a898b58a00e6324ad4252c4f5801

Resetting the router doesn't help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ty_S
Moderator (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Snatos

Welcome to the community. Really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing an intermittent and slow connection. I
I've run some checks on your modem and there have been quite a few timeouts occurring over the last two days. We'll need an engineer visit to look into this further so i'll send you a PM to get this booked in.

Speak soon,
Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Snatos
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE

I have received a new router from Virgin since apparently my other router was getting too old.

This seemed to improve all my issues immensely.

I still get the occasional WiFi drop out but nowhere near as much as before.

My speeds also went up and I'm now getting the full 100mb I pay for

Just for all the people with performance issues, I will share a couple of findings.

After getting the new router, my speed went up to 90mb/s (from about 50mb) but wouldn't go any higher. On WiFi, I was getting 110mb/s on my speed tests

So the new router definitely made an impact but was still not outputting everything it could.

After some investigation on my end, I found that a switch I was using was capping my speed and not allowing me to go any higher than the 90mb/s.

I swapped the switch to a newer gigabit one and my speed remained at 90mb/s.

After doing some googling, I found that sometimes ethernet cables play a part in slow speeds as well so I decided to change my cable and I'm now getting 110mb/s on both wired and WiFi.

https://gyazo.com/2ee2d7c152e90aa2d60801c86355df89

Thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So apart from the SH swapout, the problem was down to YOUR own equipment. Not VM.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Snatos
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if you read everything or not, I thought I made my reply clear but it looks like I didn't so I will try to clarify it further

The issue was not MY setup. It played a part for sure AFTER the main cause was resolved

The router was definitely an issue as I was getting sub par performance (slow speeds (between 30/50mb), lag and lots of drop outs from WiFi

The issue with my setup was to do with capping the speed to 90mb/s once I got the new router. Before getting the new router I never even got anywhere close to those speeds to be able to spot there was an issue in the first place.

So in summary, yes there was an issue with my setup as well, but the main issue to start with was a faulty/under performing router.

Hence why I shared my findings, so other people can check the same similar setups when they have an issue with speeds (Even after getting a new router)

Thanks

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So what your saying is my "statement was CORRECT".

--
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
0 Kudos
Snatos
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Although you might not be completely wrong, your choice of wording is extremely misleading IMO

But lets agree to disagree

I posted this here to help others, not to be trolling

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am not trolling, my point is that so many people blame VM, but in some cases its there equipment is the issue, not VM.

That was needed to be pointed out.

I dont work for VM, just been using there network for over 10 years.

--