cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops to near 0 frequently between 9:30am and 10:30am approximately

crbell
On our wavelength

Each day I am working at home for the last month or so I have frequent drop outs to near 0 speed between 9:30am and 10:30am. Before the clocks changed the drop was between 10:30 and 11:30am. I am often at home on Tuesdays and Fridays and some tImes other days

What can be done about this to find out what is going on? for that hour it means I can not do any video calls as they all drop out - I spend most of my day on online meetings. At all other times everything is usually ok. 

I should add that is is not a wifi issue as this happens on a wired connection. 

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This might be visualised on a BQM - set one up as per this...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @crbell,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you've been facing some issues with your connection speeds recently which appear to be dropping intermittently. Have you been able to set up a live BQM yet as @jbrennand has suggested? That way we can take a look at your connection in real-time.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

crbell
On our wavelength

I have tried to do that but I am just getting a complete RED graph no rise and fall. Perhaps I did something wrong. I will have another look. 

I went into the office everyday in the last week to avoid the problem!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @crbell 

My BQM sometimes goes all red.

It often starts working again if I reboot my hub.

You should also double check that your ip address hasn't changed.

Open a browser page and  go to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ 

That shows  your current IP address. if it's different to the one showing in your BQM then you need to set up a new BQM with the IP address showing on that site.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to add re the BQM if you have the hub in modem mode and are using your own router then you will need to check that the relevant "respond to ping requests" setting is enabled (probably in the firewall section). 

crbell
On our wavelength

Finally managed to have chance to get the monitor working last night, (had to set ping allowed and reboot). Thanks for everyone's help with that.
Of course the problem has not happened today!

graph1.png

Hi @crbell thanks for your post here in the community although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns.

Can you please confirm if your Hub is in Modem Mode or Router Mode? If in Modem Mode, could you place this in Router Mode and let me know if the issues still persist?

Many thanks

Tom_W

crbell
On our wavelength

It is in Router Mode. I have been at home a couple of mornings this week and the problem has not occurred, so it looks like it may have gone away. But I have the monitoring going now so I will keep an eye on it. Thanks everyone for the help. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi crbell, 

Thanks for taking the time to update the thread and let us know you have not experienced the issue for a few days. 

I just wanted to check in and see how things have been since your last post?

Thanks 

Nat