Menu
Lpoolclaire
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Speed dropping

Hi I've got the M500 broadband I recently upgraded to this as I've have two gamers in the house but the speed is consistently dropping and some times we have no signal and this is on both WiFi and cables I'm really disappointed as I thought with upgrading to the faster Internet this would make a difference but I'm afraid it's worse than when we had 350. Please help I've tried all the steps of resetting the hub etc but nothing seems to be working. Thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed dropping

Unfortunately it was a mistake upgrading.  Gaming uses only about 2.5-5 Mbps both ways for each gamer, and they'd have been adequately served by even a 200 down 20 up contract, and still left plenty of capacity for a couple of home-workers.  What gamers need is reliability of the connection and low latency, as do video calls, team conferencing and similar services.

Let's take a look at the power and noise data from your hub.  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here (don't use screenshots).  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

Separate to that, setup a BQM, that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

If all this sounds to techy for your comfort, get one of the gamers to do it under your supervision. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos