Menu
johnellison999
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Speed drop

Can anyone explain how I get aspeed drop from 380 maps to 30 maps in the space of a few feet? At approx. 2 metres from the router to 4 metres?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed drop

Are you on the other side of a wall at 4m ?
Presumably that is over wifi - what device are you using ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
johnellison999
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still in the same room! :-). Measured using speedtest app on my phone.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What make/model of phone and do you know which network it is on?
For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid 200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in exactly the the same spot 10seconds later, if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
johnellison999
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Galaxy s8 used both times seconds apart but repeated several times moving from 1 metre away to 3 metres away maintaining line of sight to router. Same occurs everytime. From 300 maps to around 30. Wired xbox records 330 mps, wireless ps4 30mps in same cabinet next to router.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi johnellison999,

Thank you for providing this information. I've had a look at the backend of your services and it appears that some of your devices may be causing disruption on the wireless network in your home.

If you have a number of devices near the hub, as you've indicated, they could be causing interference and affecting the hub's ability to produce a wireless signal, or the range of this connection. I'd recommend taking a look at our WiFi Wins for further information on how to best set up your kit. It may also be worth checking whether you're able to connect any other devices via ethernet to reduce the strain on the network and the need for requests to queue.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
johnellison999
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rachael,

All the ethernet ports are in use (tv, media box, virgin booster and xbox). Other wifi in the same room is the playstation, 2 mobile phones and an amazon echo. Would any of these account for a drop?

I will check tour other suggestions! 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
johnellison999
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael,

On the wifi wins suggestions, the router is outside the tv cabinet, next to the tv but on the floor, is facing the room and I can see the lights from the sofa where I am speed testing approx. 4 metres away. The upstairs signal showed weak on the black spot tracker and there is now a wifi booster at the top of the stairs showing all positive lights. However this is repeating the 30 mps of 4 metres away from the router. As I previously stated, 1 metre away my phone picks up 300 mps. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi johnellison999,

Thank you for taking a look at these tips and providing these details. On our system, it does look like the Xbox is connected via wifi, have you ensured that all connections are tight and secure?

The other devices you mentioned could be part of the problem, depending on how close they are to the hub. In my experience with other customer accounts, I have noticed that Amazon Echo tends to be a culprit a lot of the time. Are you able to move this a little further from the hub?

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos