cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed and wrong router

Dez87
Tuning in

I had virgin media 1gig installed on Thursday last week. For the first two days everything worked fine. Now it's extremely erratic. Most of the time I'm getting 150mbs through the router and 20mbs through my devices. I've also got the hub 5 but the speed test identifies the router as a hub 3. I've tried a full reset. I've even spoken to an engineer and tried four or five different things he suggested, nothing has worked. I am still in my first 30 days so I'm seriously considering cancelling if this continues.

14 REPLIES 14

Dez87
Tuning in

I had virgin media 1gig installed on Thursday last week. For the first two days everything worked fine. Now it's extremely erratic. Most of the time I'm getting 150mbs through the router and 20mbs through my devices. I've also got the hub 5 but the speed test identifies the router as a hub 3. I've tried a full reset. I've even spoken to an engineer and tried four or five different things he suggested, nothing has worked. I am still in my first 30 days so I'm seriously considering cancelling if this continues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be aware that the cooling off period is in fact 14 days. 

Share the results from

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test starts click on : Run full test

Screenshot_2023-02-19-16-06-49-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

The Package is listed as 125 x 20 which is M125, for this a Hub 3 would be supplied.

For M125 the 143 Mb/s download speed at the Hub is good.

The 27.5 Mb/s speed over WiFi to the mobile device is also typical for a 2.4Ghz WiFi connection.

Upload speeds are not shown, use "Run full test" to see more figures.

I understand. However I definitely have the hub 5 and have the gig 1 package both of which are confirmed by an engineer

Screenshot_2023-02-19-17-38-57-17_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

From the rates that is an M125 service to the Hub & a device connected at 2.4Ghz.

Check which broadband service is shown in the Virgin Media online account : https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media

Check that match the contract paperwork

Below are images of a Hub 3 and then a Hub 5.

Client62_0-1676888815184.png

Client62_1-1676888863161.png

My friend, I appreciate that you're trying to help. But please believe me, I have had it confirmed by the engineer that I am on the gig1 service and I have the hub 5. I have also been with virgin media for 5 years and have had every hub from three through to five. I have the hub 5. I know because I thought the gray fabric at the front was polystyrene to start with 🤣

Screenshot_2023-02-20-10-46-26-19_58f827c9f8cd1dffd850cad9571f3f22.jpg

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Dez87,

Thanks for your post, welcome to the Community Forums. 

I'm sorry to see you're having a few issues with your broadband and Hub at the moment, it certainly is a strange one. I can see that you definitely do have the Hub 5 from here and everything is looking as it should from a back office perspective. 

I've ran a Samknows test on your connection from here myself but from here it logs that you're getting over 1000mbs and your Hub model is also showing correctly.

Can you please try running a wired speed test, and also a factory reset on your hub and running the tests again?

Let us know how you get on.

Beth