cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed all over the place and nowhere near 1GB

mdrewry
Joining in

My speed has been well below advertised rates for months. I was previously using my own kit with a hub 3 in modem mode, but when in December you upgraded me to a 1GB package via Volt, I switched to using your kit which you sent to see if that made a difference.

Initially it did, using the new Hub 4 and a booster I was regularly seeing speeds around 600ish MB, which whilst not the full gig I was hoping for, was good enough for my needs. 

Over the Xmas period though, the speed has often dropped down into double digit speeds. The Sam Knows test to the property reports the advertised speed coming in, but thereafter it falls off dramatically:

SamKnows5thJan.png

Using the Sam Knows app measuring on roughly hourly intervals, you can see the range of speeds I'm getting:

Screenshot_20220105-100512_SamKnows Test.jpgScreenshot_20220105-100612_SamKnows Test.jpg

Please advise on what could be causing such wild variations of speed and furthermore what I can do to get closer to the advertised speed for my package. This seems well beyond stuff like interference from adjacent properties, almost like there's some throttling going on or something.  
As it's been going on for months like this using both my own and your kit, I'd appreciate an engineer visit to do a proper investigation for me. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A couple of things.

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small area faults are nor listed on the VM status page.

Try a full factory reset as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Once this is done, post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log.   Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping 

Once done we can comment.   Make sure your speeds tests are NOT wifi, and are done with a known good Cat 6a cable directly to the Hub with a gigabit capable device.  VM do not recognise wifi tests.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A couple of things.

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small area faults are nor listed on the VM status page.

Try a full factory reset as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Once this is done, post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log.   Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping 

Once done we can comment.   Make sure your speeds tests are NOT wifi, and are done with a known good Cat 6a cable directly to the Hub with a gigabit capable device.  VM do not recognise wifi tests.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

OK thanks! I'll work through these steps and report back

hi

im seeing the same issues, when out of modem mode to run samknows, it always shows 1gb to the hub4, from the hub i get 450 to 700.

so what am i missing , as virgin say/measure samknows to the hub, but disregard what comes out the other side

so should i expect better speeds from the hub4, or does this mean the hub4 is faulty

please advise

Get a better CAT6 shielded cable put hub in modem mode test with a PC with 1Gb NIC
https://speedtest.samknows.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

thats my setup at present , but virgin says speedtests are not reliable and only samknows is what they trust

so hub4 in modem mode, direct cat 6 to deco x90 - cat 6 to laptop(high spec) on 1gb network card only gets 450 to 750 with either speedtest.net speedtest windows app or fast.com

if do the same, but in router mode and test with samknows get over 1G to the router, but to computer get 450 - 750, tries different cables etc

so to me its the hub 4 fault

but virgin wont accept this saying samknows show 1GB BUT THAT IS TO THE HUB not through the hub and into my house network

Good Afternoon @ianharker, we would have to advise that we would be responsible for subscribing your property with the subscribed speed, which we are seemingly doing.

It may be worth if the third party router you're using could be at fault. or if the device you're testing on is able to handle the speeds provided

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

Hi

on testing with SamKnows the computer is plugged directly into the hub4 and all my third party devices are unplugged from the hub4 , the computer has a gig network card which when first installed was showing 960, now I only get 450-750, I have also tested with other computers , they all show the same results

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ian_harker,

Thanks for your response and welcome back to the community page.

Apologies for the all issues faced firstly, from reviewing the account I can't see anything glaring that would be a part of the problem you are facing.

I can see you had a technician appointment last week regarding this and the specs were stating the agreed speed, was anything altered?

Can I ask you to post a current speed test out of modem mode?

Let us know the results

Kain

ian_harker
On our wavelength
Hi
will do , when everyone off the system, I will reboot the hub4 when back in router mode, and connect only my laptop and do a samknows and a fast.com and speedtest.net and post the results