cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Slower After M600 to 1Gig Upgrade

Poddys
Dialled in

We upgraded our Ultimate Oomph package last week from M600 to 1Gig and Tuesday I replaced the Hub 3 by the new Hub 4.

Instead of the speed being faster (I used to get about 400mbps) since the new hub was installed it's ranged from around 50 to 200, but that's the fastest I have seen.

The only changes I have made to the hub settings have been to change the Wifi name and add a 2nd Wifi connection for 2.4. The connection is tight, I made sure of that, so not sure what the problem might be. A few minutes after the new hub was connected if did a software update (the ring changed colour).

The cabling hasn't changed in 5 years since we moved into the house. The only suggestion the site gives is to reset the hub to the factory settings, which seems a bit of a waste of time.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be or the best way to resolve this please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Poddys wrote:

<snip>

But now getting 504 down and 52 up which is a lot better. It's more than I need, but if paying for 1gig you would hope to get somewhere in that region.

Around 500 is about right for wifi and about 950 for ethernet.  VM do not guarantee wifi speeds btw.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Poddys wrote:

We upgraded our Ultimate Oomph package last week from M600 to 1Gig and Tuesday I replaced the Hub 3 by the new Hub 4.

Instead of the speed being faster (I used to get about 400mbps) since the new hub was installed it's ranged from around 50 to 200, but that's the fastest I have seen.

The only changes I have made to the hub settings have been to change the Wifi name and add a 2nd Wifi connection for 2.4. The connection is tight, I made sure of that, so not sure what the problem might be. A few minutes after the new hub was connected if did a software update (the ring changed colour).

The cabling hasn't changed in 5 years since we moved into the house. The only suggestion the site gives is to reset the hub to the factory settings, which seems a bit of a waste of time.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be or the best way to resolve this please.

Could you confirm what this site shows?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

I did try that, saw it on another post, but not sure how to get it to work.

It says my SamKnows enabled device is offline.

Poddys_0-1649597597572.png

Did a search on the error and found this post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Samknows-not-working-with-my-new-Hub4/td-p/4905207/page/2.

Going to try a router reboot and see if that helps.

Nope still same error from SamKnows.

But now getting 504 down and 52 up which is a lot better. It's more than I need, but if paying for 1gig you would hope to get somewhere in that region.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Poddys wrote:

<snip>

Around 500 is about right for wifi and about 950 for ethernet.  VM do not guarantee wifi speeds btw.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Samknows is working now so looks like all is good.

Poddys_0-1649613302548.png

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Poddys,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that this has been your experience with us and that you've been having some issues with your speeds!

Glad to see that you've had some guidance provided by our trusty Community Members and that your speeds are looking a lot better! 

I was able to run a few checks on our systems to look into your power levels. I can see that your downstream power levels are not looking so great  at the moment. Please let us know how your speeds are doing after the weekend and if you'd like us to investigate this issue any further. We'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks very much Paulina.