cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue after Home Move

Jpeart7
Tuning in

Hi, so I just moved in with my girlfriend. We both had virgin but I had the better package so we agreed to cancel her account and move mine across. In one of the bedrooms on her package (max of 100mb/s) I was getting around 100mb/s download speed. Her services have now cancelled, I placed my equipment in and mine has now been switched on, however with the equipment in exactly the same position and the same room, I am only getting around 30mb/s even though on my package I pay for up to 200-300 mb/s. I spoke to tech and the guy advised me to do a factory reset on the router which I have done and it's been around 24 hours but the download speed is still the same. Any ideas? Or do I just need to give it time to get up to speed? 

Thanks, any advice is appreciated 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No "time" needed - it should be instant.

So to be clear - did you both have separate Hubs - what models - and which one is now not giving good speeds?

Also are you testing speeds on wifi or ethernet cable connected devices? If wifi - can you connect a PC/laptop by ethernet cable and test speeds that way

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, 

Thanks for replying

Yes my girlfriend had her own equipment now disconnected and replaced with mine from my house. Both using the Super Hub 3.0, just swapped equipment round. It's in the exact same spot but ridiculously slower with my equipment in. Completed the factory reset and trying to use it tonight it's back down to 10-20 mb/s in the same room that achieved 100mb/s on girlfriends equipment.

Unable to use network cable, as room is too far away. Doing speed test right next to router is expected 200mb/s. Seems to be an issue with the range on my equipment which wasn't a problem with previous equipment

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You will need to check on an ethernet cable connection or VM will just blame it on wifi interference. You can get 20/50 metre runs for less than a tenner and just trail it over the floor whilst you run the tests - and then roll it up and put it in your bits drawer.

But.. it does sound like a wifi only issue - and the ethernet will confirm that.

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, 

Thanks for your help. The internet seems to have picked up between 80mb/s and 100mb/s which I am content with, by disabling the channel optimization and moving the router round a little. I am curious, what does the pod do that virgin supplies and do you think it may be able to help get even higher speeds than I am currently achieving? Happy to pay a bit extra a month if it improves things drastically 

Hi @Jpeart7 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry you were experiencing slow speeds.  To have a check for reassurance, I have had a remote look at your account from here.  I cannot find any issues that would be impacting your wired speeds.  However there does appear to be issues, do you want to discuss this privately?

Regards

Lee_R