cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issue After Upgrade 1gb

ThomasT1
Joining in

Good morning,

After upgrading to the 1gb package and being sent the Hub 4 I've been having issues with speed and WiFi range.  

Speed

I was getting around 300mb speed, with Samknows showing 360mb.  Yesterday and engineer came out and changed some cables, attenuator etc.  My speed did go up to a bit but he said a networking engineer would have to come out as the speed at the box, some 50 metres away wasn't achieving the speed it should.  Right enough I saw an engineer working at it last night and the Samknows speed did then jump up to around 1.1gb.  My speed then went up to around 550mb, which was around what I was getting before the upgrade.  I am connected using an ethernet cable directly to the Hub into my PC, which has a modern motherboard with a gb LAN port.  

Range

Since installing the Hub 4 the range of the WiFi has dropped.  Upstairs struggles to receive a connection to the router, one room does not receive at all.  To combat this I was sent out a WiFi pod.  This fixes the range issue but speeds drop to under 50mb.  The problem is that my PC, which needs the speed most, normally sits upstairs and therefore if I fix the range issue in the other two rooms upstairs, I then have an issue with speed in the computer room.  Is 50mb normal when using the pod?  Does the pod also have dual band?  Can I configure it?

I do have an Asus router, AC1300 I think but haven't yet tested.  I guess that is my next step.  

Many thanks for any help in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

ThomasT1
Joining in

Apologies, I couldn't find where to edit my previous post.  Just wanted to add that I've tested my router which is actually a TP Link AC1750.  Speeds did not improve but got worse.  Range improved.  

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ThomasT1 wrote:

Apologies, I couldn't find where to edit my previous post.  Just wanted to add that I've tested my router which is actually a TP Link AC1750.  Speeds did not improve but got worse.  Range improved.  

How are you connecting the AC1750 to the Hub?  Are you using Modem mode?   I also think the Pods will only work if the Hub is in Router mode.

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds and their solution is to supply pods to help. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  I connected the router to the Hub and placed the Hub in modem mode.  I tested the pod when in router mode.  The range improved in the room upstairs from not being able to get a connection to full bars but speed drops for everything connected to the pod to below 50mb.  

The router when connected to the Hub in modem mode sees the range improve but the speed drops somewhat.  

Currently I'm now getting the same speed I was getting before the upgrade when I was on 500mb and Hub 3.  

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @ThomasT1

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your services.

I have managed to locate your account via the forums & I have run some general diagnostics, I can see that you have had some issues with your power levels.  We are going to need to get an engineer to resolve this for you. 

I will pop you over a PM so that I can arrange this. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for providing me with that information via PM. 

I have arranged the for the engineer to attend, you can find the time, date & make any amendments by visiting your My Virgin Media account

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi,

My apologies for this late reply.  I have had several months of difficulty after my daughter being born and spending some time in intensive care, where I happened to be when the engineer called.  My in laws were here but don't speak English so I'm guessing when the engineer called he thought he couldn't gain access.  

I'm wondering if this can now be resolved with another engineer visit.  I'm working from home at the moment and therefore I'm available all day.  

I'm still not getting near the speeds I should be and in fact my speed hasn't changed at all since upgrading from 500mb to 1gb.  

Many thanks,

Thomas

Good Afternoon @ThomasT1, thanks for coming back to us, and I hope all is now well with your family - sounds like a very difficult and stressful thing to go through!

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll take some details off you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn