And what is this fault for?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 22 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: So, what happened Virgin?

Hi Loui79,

Thanks for getting back in touch, the fault didn't actually state what it was so it was likely to be an equipment issue. 

It has now been resolved.

The connection now looks ok from this side. 

How are things looking for you now? 

If you are still having trouble let us know and we will be happy to take a look for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Loui79
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely no change. Still completely unusable for gaming, which isn't ideal for a gaming package. My Broadband Ping - VM200GAMER DEC7
0 Kudos
cje85
Super solver
Message 24 of 61
Flag for a moderator

That is normal for a Hub 3 with 24 downstream channels. The more downstream channels you have the higher the latency goes, which is why you saw an increase when you went from 12 to 24 channels.

All cable modems powered by the Intel Puma 6 suffer this problem (It's affecting cable ISPs around the world) and there's little that can be done about it. 

New firmware is being tested which makes the graph look much nicer but it doesn't fully resolve the problem.

Loui79
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I;ve read the other thread and it certainly seems to be the issue but given the fact we're paying over £40 per month for a "gamer" package, I don't see this as an acceptable connection.

It seems to me that there are 2 options for a fix:
Drop us back down to 12 channels with the SH3 or
Send out a non-SH3 replacement.

A quick search on Ebay shows dozens of Virgin SH2's and SH2AC's.which obviously haven't been collected so if Virgin don't have spares, perhaps they should be looking at getting those back in to the system..
0 Kudos
Loui79
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 61
Flag for a moderator

My connection is still the same and I have had no further contact on the matter again.

My Broadband Ping - VM200GAMER DEC7

It's been over a month since I posted the first BQM looking like this.

0 Kudos
Loui79
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 61
Flag for a moderator

SH3 ping.jpgPerfect for Gaming

Good job Virgin

terry1951
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 61
Flag for a moderator

My throughput, for what it's worth.

The ongoing issues I'm suffering have forced me to sniff around the forums, to basically see if anyone else is afflicted by the same personal problems, and I find that they are.

Thanks chaps and chappetts for starting this off and keeping it going.

I was at that point in my dropped speeds and disconnects where I didn't know what to do next.

But you lot did: I didn't know about https://www.thinkbroadband.com, and with it I can monitor just what the heck is going on with my Broadband; cos' there's something plainly wrong with it.

Ongoing, the self test ( https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/perform-diagnostic) now stops at 33% - last week it reached the dizzying heights of 98% before crashing out, and that was the point that someone took notice, but that was last week: and this is now.

The self test (now) only takes less than 10 seconds to run, and after that lengthy time: it (now) proudly proclaims that there's nothing wrong, but there is something amiss in the here and (now) because my speeds drop to nothing and then climb backup to 1MB a second, (if I'm lucky).

Other: Installed an IP hider, read about WiFi hacks being able to piggyback on your bandwidth whilst you're using it.

The first time I ran it: it was like someone threw a tantrum as my speeds drooped through the floor. Have I cured my problem? - No! - But that IP masker has shown me that something weird is going on at my end, and that issue expands out into the Virgin servers.

Now with that monitor in place: I can finally see what's going on here.

Currently: after downloading and running tbbMeter my internet has crashed out again, and the speed is in the pits as it struggles to even run a 5MB speed test.

Really don't understand any of it.

0 Kudos
jlippa
Fibre optic
Message 29 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Loui79 wrote:

SH3 ping.jpgPerfect for Gaming

Good job Virgin

I saw your post in the epic 203 page gaming thread about this. I expect you've seen the signature of the user tommey in that thread that includes the record of his 3 year battle with VM where nothing got fixed before he left and went to BT. Perhaps you're stuck with VM and have no alternatives or maybe you're stuck in contract. No-one wants hell on earth for 3 years.

0 Kudos
Loui79
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 61
Flag for a moderator

jlippa, unfortunately we have no alternatives at present, which Virgin obviously know given their lack of response.

If I could get any other connection that would guarantee more than 3.5Mb I would have left Virgin as soon as they started providing 20Mb maximum on a 200Mb connection (especially given that a lot of the time it was way less). With kids on netflx, 3.5Mb wouldn't really cut it.

Emma,

It has been over 3 weeks since you said "If you are still having trouble let us know and we will be happy to take a look for you." (2 months since the connection changed to this) and as of today, 06/02/18, I have still had no response to the fact I have shown that there is still a massive issue and my connection is unusable for its main purpose, ie Gaming.

0 Kudos