cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So so slow!!

gingermoonman
On our wavelength

Just swapped to Virgin!! What have I done!!!!!!!! Signed up for the best package and should be 1gb download, speeds keep on changing one minute up at 500 or 600 then down to 20!!! 

I plugged in an Ethernet cable and was getting 1gb so got on hard wire so just the wi-fi!!!!

Can anyone please help? Kids are going to kill me!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For the love of god...

The downstream power levels are too low, an engineer will need to addend to fix this.

There is a good chance that that why you are only getting a pathetic 149mb TO the hub let alone out.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

MatthewS1993
Dialled in

WiFi speed issues can be caused by lots of things, google search virgin WiFi pods as your on the 1 gig package you get these for free to help solve these types of issues.

1 gig is for all your equipment in home and gets split between them all evenly so if you have say 10 devices each will get 100mb 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

carl_pearce
Community elder

@gingermoonman wrote:

Just swapped to Virgin!! What have I done!!!!!!!! Signed up for the best package and should be 1gb download, speeds keep on changing one minute up at 500 or 600 then down to 20!!! 

I plugged in an Ethernet cable and was getting 1gb so got on hard wire so just the wi-fi!!!!

Can anyone please help? Kids are going to kill me!!!

Split the SSID into two, one for 2.4Ghz, and one for 5Ghz:

Connect to 5Ghz to get the faster speeds, 2.4Ghz for distance.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gingermoonman

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issues, how is your broadband performing after following the above steps? 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

bally12345
Dialled in

Wifi will always fluctuate regardless of your equipment. Best to hardwire any devices that are capable of 1Gbps but over WiFi i wouldn't hold your breath for speeds between 400-700Mbps on 5Ghz at 80hz

thanks for replies will give this a go over next couple of days, should I try and connect all devices via 5ghz I know some older devices can not connect to 5ghz

So 2.4ghz band is slower but goes further and more stable. So I tend to connect work laptop, doorbell, Alexa to this. 

5ghz is faster but travels less distance is and also more inconsistent. However I have my tvs and mobile connect to this.

In all honesty I don't need more than 200mbps but I like to have the fastest speed where I can. 

You just need to decide what devices need to be fast and which need a good stable connection. 

Tip: 90+% of Smart tv do not come with a gigabit connection so even if you hard wire your tv in most cases its limited to 10/100

So have come up another problem/question, I was told that a good website to test speed is SamKnows, I did this and at first I was getting 1gb speed to hub and about 300-600 to computer which is great, now all of a sudden the speed I get to the hub is just over 200 this also then has an effect on speed to computer! Any ideas as really regretting getting Virgin already!!! People did warn me!!!

Screenshot 2021-12-25 at 21.35.39.pngScreenshot 2021-12-25 at 21.41.43.png

What are your upstream and downstream levels.  Speeds through hardwire on a full capable device (which many aren't) should be around 600-1100mbps.  Unless there is an issue somewhere.  In which case one of the forum team will be around to book a visit if needed

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

When i tested it the other day the test showed speed to the Hub 4 was 1000mb and download was over 500mb but the last couple of days the speed to the Hub 4 was only just 200 if not less at times!!

Went on Virgin website to test speed and keeps saying can not run a test!