cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So it's the router? Why am I not seeing this (maybe I'm missing something)

Solomace
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

So last month I made a post about getting supercharged to 1gig, getting a new route (hub 4) and subsequently getting the same or less than what I had on my 500meg. 

After what seems like 100s of calls to virgin and trying all the broadband monitoring stuff, I finally gave in, as I was getting no where both on here and from Virgin so I requested an engineer who I would pay for if he could resolve. 

Anyway, the engineer arrived, asked me what's the issue and after 2 seconds said I know the problem after looking at my hub 4. He did his own tests and then said it was as he thought. The HUB4 just cannot do 1gig and I have to wait for the Hub 5s that are currently been trialed for 1 gig. His data matched what I had. 1gig coming in from the virgin line, but only 450-650 coming out to me from the hub.

This annoyed me immensely as that means I'm paying for 1gig knowing I cannot get it? 

I ask him why this seems to be so hush hush and why are you advertising 1gig knowing I'm not going to get it and he just shrugged and said that's just the way it is and I will get a hub 5 automatically once it's been tested which will be in 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year as in who knows.

So, am I once again been fed a lot of malarkey by him as I will be honest, my 2 years with virgin has had tons of people telling me one thing and then another and if you look up the word, "fobbed off" in the dictionary, you would see the words Virgin Media next to it. 

True or false peeps?

Thanks for reading.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Solomace wrote:

Hi all, 

So last month I made a post about getting supercharged to 1gig, getting a new route (hub 4) and subsequently getting the same or less than what I had on my 500meg. 

After what seems like 100s of calls to virgin and trying all the broadband monitoring stuff, I finally gave in, as I was getting no where both on here and from Virgin so I requested an engineer who I would pay for if he could resolve. 

Anyway, the engineer arrived, asked me what's the issue and after 2 seconds said I know the problem after looking at my hub 4. He did his own tests and then said it was as he thought. The HUB4 just cannot do 1gig and I have to wait for the Hub 5s that are currently been trialed for 1 gig. His data matched what I had. 1gig coming in from the virgin line, but only 450-650 coming out to me from the hub.

This annoyed me immensely as that means I'm paying for 1gig knowing I cannot get it? 

I ask him why this seems to be so hush hush and why are you advertising 1gig knowing I'm not going to get it and he just shrugged and said that's just the way it is and I will get a hub 5 automatically once it's been tested which will be in 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year as in who knows.

So, am I once again been fed a lot of malarkey by him as I will be honest, my 2 years with virgin has had tons of people telling me one thing and then another and if you look up the word, "fobbed off" in the dictionary, you would see the words Virgin Media next to it. 

True or false peeps?

Thanks for reading.

To answer your question yes, the HUB 4 is more than capable of handling Gig1, or even the recently trialed 2.2Gbps service.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you run multiple devices concurrently, you will max out the 1GB circuit.  VM does not state 1GB to one device.  An ethernet connection should see about 950mb and an ac wifi device around 550.   You can get the full speed from ethernet if you buy additional networking kit and bond the 4 ports together, but it is quite expensive.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Solomace
On our wavelength
Sorry, I don't understand and I've never heard this before.

How do you sell internet at a certain speed but don't say oh by the way, the only way you get it is by buying more kit? Also your saying the engineering is wrong?

Thanks for responding but you're the first one to say I need more kit to get 1gig so I find that hard to swallow unless their is blurb from Virgin saying to get 1gig on I need to buy extra kit.

Oh and if I got 950, I wouldn't be complaining at all, but 450-650, thats the issue.

They sell it on the basis that YOU DO GET 1Gbps to THEIR kit (1134Mbps), after their kit, the connection is your responsibility and as such to get more than 950Mbps on a WIRED connection would require a router purchased by yourself that would have ports built in that are faster than 1Gbps e.g. 2Gbps ports.

The ports on the Hub4 are 1Gbps rated but will not give you full 1Gbps due overhead on the line e.g ACK requests etc.

As long as you are getting 950ish Mbps down to the Hub4 you are getting what you pay for.

Solomace
On our wavelength
Thanks for the response but both your response and the other doesn't really answer my question which is, is the hub 4 capable of getting 1gig (950 then),as the engineer says it isn't.

950/1gig either way getting 450-650 is no where near what is advertised and the engineer is saying I won't get it until I get a hub 5.

Thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you testing on wifi or ethernet cable connections?

You can never get over ~600 on a single wifi connection on the Hub4- as its only wifi5  (Physics!) - the Hub5 is wifi6. and will get close to 1GB on one suitable device.

Connect two devices simultaneously and they should get ~500 each i.e.   2x500 = 1GB bandwidth - or 3 at 333... etc

Or ~960 on a single ethernet connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Half the people who reply here dont seem to have any real knowledge but spout generic answers as gospel,

I was told today to plug my laptop directly into my hub to test, even though I was running my test from a device plugged directly in. I've not had any official response, just one person who was helpful and suggested turning on QoS which I never used before, this in turn increased my speed for today from 94Mb to circa 500Mb on my 1Gb connection, its the fastest its been since it was put in. I'm also 99% sure I was sent a second hand Hub4 as the thing came without packaging and the cables etc were filthy. 

I'm absolutely disgusted at the service i've been given 😄 

It's almost as if they have put the 1Gb port on the hub on half duplex, which is completely useless for modem mode.

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Solomace wrote:

Hi all, 

True or false peeps?

Thanks for reading.

To answer your question yes, the HUB 4 is more than capable of handling Gig1, or even the recently trialed 2.2Gbps service.

@sandyb1984 wrote:

Half the people who reply here dont seem to have any real knowledge but spout generic answers as gospel,

I was told today to plug my laptop directly into my hub to test, even though I was running my test from a device plugged directly in. I've not had any official response, just one person who was helpful and suggested turning on QoS which I never used before, this in turn increased my speed for today from 94Mb to circa 500Mb on my 1Gb connection, its the fastest its been since it was put in. I'm also 99% sure I was sent a second hand Hub4 as the thing came without packaging and the cables etc were filthy. 

I'm absolutely disgusted at the service i've been given 😄 

It's almost as if they have put the 1Gb port on the hub on half duplex, which is completely useless for modem mode.

It's rented kit so new isn't a given.

Solomace
On our wavelength
So, not sure if I should ask here on the virgin media forum, but if I decide to say get lost Hub 4 and buy a complete new router, what is the best just plug in router for under £150 please?