cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sluggish 500M Broadband

Gordonwd
Joining in

The @virginmedia Twitter account suggested I post here to attempt to resolve my broadband speed issues. 

I have the 500M service but never seem to get much above 200. Frequently during the evenings it drops to well below 100M. 

https://twitter.com/gordonwd/status/1592270575007064064?s=20&t=C8BuXi_qxJcIgM07wGTQSA

34 REPLIES 34

Ah, didn't realize it works on the HUB 3.

So you are getting full speed over the VM network.

Can you access your HUB on 192.168.0.1, sign in, then check the 'Connected Devices' section.

It should display each device and what speed they are connected to the HUB.

2/3 to 3/4 of the connection speed indicates, roughly, the expected download speed.

As an example I'm on Gig1, my samsung mobile connects at 433Mbps, and I can download at around 250 - 300Mbps.

Will need to park this for just now (heading out). Will pick up later tomorrow...

I have GIG1 and 1200 Mbps to my router (so says sam) and 300-700 MAX to my gaming PC using cat 7 Ethernet in Hub5 Via 2.5Gb Ports. I've had virgin for nearly two weeks now, first week i got 1100 average download speed on steam, blizzard, speed tests etc now i get 300-700 max and virgin wont lift a f finger, they sent out an engineer who simply said meh that's just how it is. disgusting. lies, con.

FYI sam knows real speed test is a fake con site used by virgin to pass the blame. theres no way im getting 1.1 to the hub and less than a metre away with ethernet to a high spec PC 300.

@Gisborne wrote:

I have GIG1 and 1200 Mbps to my router (so says sam) and 300-700 MAX to my gaming PC using cat 7 Ethernet in Hub5 Via 2.5Gb Ports. I've had virgin for nearly two weeks now, first week i got 1100 average download speed on steam, blizzard, speed tests etc now i get 300-700 max and virgin wont lift a f finger, they sent out an engineer who simply said meh that's just how it is. disgusting. lies, con.

FYI sam knows real speed test is a fake con site used by virgin to pass the blame. theres no way im getting 1.1 to the hub and less than a metre away with ethernet to a high spec PC 300.

This is false information.

https://freeimage.host/i/ssssss.H9pTo8v

it really is not is it.

@Gisborne wrote:

https://freeimage.host/i/ssssss.H9pTo8v

it really is not is it.

Yes, it is false information.

You honestly think that such a large company would manipulate speed tests when companies like Ofcom exist?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
We don't know how real speed is deployed when it does the download test I for one for one think its done to a local server it may even have priority then when your device does a download test you go out to samknows server that routing and server can't push the speed which would explain why testing to other speed test are some times faster.
---------------------------------------------------------------

did you really just ask me that question when the biggest companies around the globe are getting done, fined and imprisoned for breaking laws, insider trading, scamming etc? Did you look at my picture? funny how whether i have 1 gig download or 1MB download it says 1150 to the box... hmm so you telling me my box is always full speed but the ethernet cable to my PC just decides to vastly change speed for no reason? and when i had 1 gig download why did sam say I was getting 200 down to my PC? 

I've been on reddit and we are discusing how engineers splice your cable or simple disconnect users to connect new users. this happened to me, my vodafone internet stopped working, they sent out an engineer and he told us they have disconnected mine and placed it on someone else's home. this happens A LOT

@Gisborne wrote:

did you really just ask me that question when the biggest companies around the globe are getting done, fined and imprisoned for breaking laws, insider trading, scamming etc? Did you look at my picture? funny how whether i have 1 gig download or 1MB download it says 1150 to the box... hmm so you telling me my box is always full speed but the ethernet cable to my PC just decides to vastly change speed for no reason? and when i had 1 gig download why did sam say I was getting 200 down to my PC? 

I've been on reddit and we are discusing how engineers splice your cable or simple disconnect users to connect new users. this happened to me, my vodafone internet stopped working, they sent out an engineer and he told us they have disconnected mine and placed it on someone else's home. this happens A LOT

The HUB is getting full speed over the VM network, which is supplied to your devices over the same connection.

If there was a problem with your connection the HUB would be getting a slower speed.

How much is virgin paying you to spew nonsense? so my hub 5 is getting 1.2 gig but everything wired or wifi 6 in my house is getting half or less of that...