cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds with TP Link Router

LHensh
Tuning in

Like many before me I have grown tired of the Hub 3.0 poor wifi issues so have purchased a TP Link Archer AX3000 which reviews suggested had fixed exactly that issue for many people.

Having installed the router my Internet speeds have actually reduced from what they were on the Hub.

Prior to installing the router I was getting 97mbps through a wired connection using an old laptop. This dropped to 89mbps on the new router.

Wireless speeds with the old laptop did improve from 22mpbs to 51mbps, however there has been some huge reductions on my mobile phone - down from 244 mbps on the Hub to just 4mbps on the new TP Link router.

Why is it that I am seeing these big differences in performance and don't seem to be getting the same benefit from the TP Link that others have had?

The end result is that we still struggle to stream video on various devices around the house, which is what we were hoping to solve.

Is there anything I can change in the router settings to increase these speeds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@LHensh wrote:

Yeah the Hub is placed in modem mode.

I'll be getting onto VM about the lower ethernet speeds as they are significantly lower than the 350mbps I should be getting, that said the speeds should be good enough for what I need, just not what I pay for.

What would cause the WiFi speeds to be so much lower?

Maybe the TP Link is using the same SSID for both bands, 2.4 and 5Ghz, and your moblie is connected on the slower band?

Probably worth splitting the bands into two SSIDs.

But as already has been said if your broadband connection is poor to start with a third party router isn't going to help!

Not sure if it will make a difference however when you switch between router and modem mode you have a different public IP address, and maybe the routing is different within the VM network?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Did you put the hub in modem mode?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

And did you check that your VM broadband connection was operating properly before you bought the new router?  By which I mean full and reliable speeds to ethernet connected devices, and that there's no problems revealed in hub status data?  A new router can bring a range of benefits, but it can't make up for anything that's a problem with the broadband connection.

I'll be getting onto VM about the lower ethernet speeds as they are significantly lower than the 350mbps I should be getting, that said the speeds should be good enough for what I need, just not what I pay for.

@LHensh wrote:

Maybe the TP Link is using the same SSID for both bands, 2.4 and 5Ghz, and your moblie is connected on the slower band?

Probably worth splitting the bands into two SSIDs.

But as already has been said if your broadband connection is poor to start with a third party router isn't going to help!

Not sure if it will make a difference however when you switch between router and modem mode you have a different public IP address, and maybe the routing is different within the VM network?

What would be the best band for a mobile phone? 2.4 or 5Ghz?

@LHensh wrote:

What would be the best band for a mobile phone? 2.4 or 5Ghz?

The fastest, which is 5Ghz.

2.4Ghz is slower but has better range.

This is why routers are normally configured 'smartly' to switch between them depending on distance & type of device, however sometimes it doesn't work very well, hence you splitting them so you decide which to connect to!

Thanks.

Just a thought before I get onto VM about slower speeds coming into the house, how is that that through the Hub I was getting 220mbps through WiFi and 97mbps through ethernet, surely WiFi has to be slower?

Could it be the old laptop I am using (only device with an ethernet port I have access to) is not giving a true reflection on the speeds coming into the property?

@LHensh wrote:

Thanks.

Just a thought before I get onto VM about slower speeds coming into the house, how is that that through the Hub I was getting 220mbps through WiFi and 97mbps through ethernet, surely WiFi has to be slower?

Could it be the old laptop I am using (only device with an ethernet port I have access to) is not giving a true reflection on the speeds coming into the property?

Yes, older devices use 10/100 ethernet adapters so are only capable of 100Mbps, which in reality including overheads is around 97Mbps.

So depending on your wireless device capability you should still 'see' 350Mbps depending on distance from HUB/router. There are so many standards of wireless it's difficult to say if you will see full speed on one device.

Switched to 5Ghz network and mobile is now getting 290mbps, so I'm happy with that.

It might be that I move all devices to 5ghz if that help improve the speeds. Assuming the range would be enough for a standard 4 bedroom house?