cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speeds with Hub4

mickywaz
Tuning in

Guy I'm in a bit of a pickle. Have had virgin 500mb for a few months. Running fine. Got between 500-600 constantly. Have upgraded to virgin 1gb and got the new Hub4. My speeds are now horrible compared to what they used to be. The odd time I get 945 on speed test. That lasts sometime up to a few hours then my speeds tank. The other morning I done a speed test and I was getting 50mb. Have had virgin out this morning and they can't find a fault. Sammobile speed test shows that I'm getting the full speed to the hub but then awful speeds to my computer that's connected by ethernet. I have now tried 4 cat6 cables to no avail. I'm wondering at this point if something on my pc could be causing the issue. Any help would be appreciated.Screenshot 2021-10-27 100212.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mickywaz thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're having slow speeds.  Have you gotten to the bottom of your issue since posting?  It sounds as though you feel it's a setting or app/feature or program on your PC that's causing this?

Regards

Lee_R

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Usual request.  Please post the Network Log, Downstream and Upstream logs and Pre and PostRS errors for comment.  Do not use screenshots, just copy and paste the text.

Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit.   www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Try a speedtest from the PC in safe mode with networking in case software on the PC is causing problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply. I can't do what you've asked just yet. But I've put the pc in safemode with networking and I'm constantly getting max speed. Something must me on my pc to be interfering with it. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @mickywaz 

It might be your anti virus.

I kept getting slow speeds when using Avast - I turned  it off for an hour as an experiment and the speed improved.

I then uninstalled Avast and just use the built in Windows Anti Virus and Security

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the reply. I only have the windows antivirus installed. I disabled it to check and still have the problem. I'm running out of ideas.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mickywaz thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're having slow speeds.  Have you gotten to the bottom of your issue since posting?  It sounds as though you feel it's a setting or app/feature or program on your PC that's causing this?

Regards

Lee_R

Hey. Yeah I've sorted it. Turns out the port on my motherboard was giving up. Got a new ethernet PCI card and it's fixed the issue. Board is Asus Rog Z390-F Capable of doing the 1gig but ended up buying a card that can do 2.5gb. so future proofed myself a little.

That's more than future proofed mickywaz

Thanks for letting us know 

Gareth_L