cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upstream since 200 to 350 VOLT upgrade

pjayuk
Dialled in

Since my upgrade from 200 to 350 as part of the VOLT benefits my upstream speed has intermittently dropped from 36 mbps to around 5 mbps with QAM dropping to 16 on three or four channels. Downstream is rock solid. Prior to the ‘upgrade’ both upstream and downstream were rock solid.

Upstream went off a cliff at about 0940 this morning:

Hub 3.0.png

My Broadband Ping - Virgin 1 Gig
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Packet loss showing on BQM through the night and two upstream QAM are at 32 this morning. Can someone from Virgin take a look at this, please?

channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

16029999645.8512064 qam1
23940003945.3512064 qam4
34620000045.3512032 qam3
45370000045.5512032 qam2

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

140 REPLIES 140

pjayuk
Dialled in

Router is in modem mode and all speed checks via wired connection. I have checked all cables and pinhole reset the router, to no avail.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/068f081b41862c1d1cfd9cca233d23e93ee8f972

Could someone from Virgin take a look at this, please? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150, as small local faults are not reported on the VM status pages.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, just tried that, but no fault reported. My upstream has now slowed to 2 mbps making it impossible to work.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I notice your hub is in modem mode as you are logged into 192.168.100.1

Have you also rebooted your 3rd party router as well as the hub?

Also just checking, you don't say which VM hub you have, but if it's less than the hub3 then it needs replacing as the older models don't support speeds of M350 and above.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave,

Yes, I have the router in modem mode. I have rebooted the AirPort Extreme it is connected to, no change. Router is a Superhub 3.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @pjayuk 

You could try a factory reset. 

Keep the hub switched on and disconnect any ethernet connections, then push the reset button firmly with a paperclip or something similair. keep it pressed in for a full minute.

Wait around 10 minutes and it should revert to factory settings. You can now reconnect the ethernet cables.

If you previously changed your router password it won't work and you will have to use the one printed on the sticker on the router. You can always change it again by going into the settings

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

QAM just starting to increase a bit at 1450, just as I’m due to finish work for the day.

Hub 3.0 2.png

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again @pjayuk 

You could try a factory reset. 

Keep the hub switched on and disconnect any ethernet connections, then push the reset button firmly with a paperclip or something similair. keep it pressed in for a full minute.

Wait around 10 minutes and it should revert to factory settings. You can now reconnect the ethernet cables.

If you previously changed your router password it won't work and you will have to use the one printed on the sticker on the router. You can always change it again by going into the settings

Thanks, Dave, already tried that yesterday and today at the height of my frustration over not being able to work. Made no difference, I’m afraid. Just wish someone from Virgin would come on the thread so they can take a look from their end.

QAM returned to normal levels now at 1510. Seems to follow the same pattern each day. The QAM falls and the upstream goes off a cliff edge during the day, approximately between 0940 and 1500, just when I need the upstream to work!

Hub 3.0 3.png