cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds

whatuk
Tuning in

Hi, I've noticed my uploads speeds have been really slow for months. 

I rang up support today and they told me that they've been updating the cables in my area for a month, and it just so happened that they should be fixed by 3pm today. Getting over that coincidence, they told me to reboot my router after 3pm and I should have uploads speeds of 50Mbps. I'm on the M350 package so that surprised me, but I thought that would be great! 

I've rebooted and although my speeds are 20Mbps vs the 3-5Mbps I'd been getting, they're still nowhere near the 36Mbps I got when I first upgraded last year, and that I should be getting on the M350 package. My download speeds have always been great at around 370Mbps.

Any help with this would be really appreciated. 

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Has the "known issue" been resolved - try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@whatuk 

ah, well the people you spoke to are in a call centre in Mumbai or Manila and have as much information about ‘cable replacement’ as my cat - ie, none and they just made something up to get you off the phone and chalk up another closed call - as you spotted yourself, odd really that it should be fixed that very day!

Or not as the case might be.

Unfortunately, VM don’t make any guarantees regarding upstream speed and, yes, you should be seeing about 35 Mb/s.

Can you post up the connection stats from the hub? Especially the upstream figures?

Ha, so other people in my area are having massive problems with their virgin broadband now too, so either they were telling the truth, or attempting to fix my problem has bought down the whole network. I should be more trusting. Although there is nothing on either the website or the status number that mentions this.

I'm curious, what are you looking for in these files?

Screenshot 2021-09-09 at 10.36.38.JPGScreenshot 2021-09-09 at 10.36.32.JPGScreenshot 2021-09-09 at 10.36.52.JPGScreenshot 2021-09-09 at 10.37.17.JPG

the 16 QAM u/s won't be helping - It should be 64 across the board!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi @whatuk.

Welcome to our forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your service speeds. We can understand this is not ideal and we want to best help.

I have been able to access your account via your forums details and I can see there is currently and SNR outage in the area. You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are affected. Our teams are working on this and the current estimated fix time is 14 SEP 2021 09:00.

We apologise for this on behalf of our team. 

Please let us know if the issue persists after the given time and we will do our best to help from here.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Akua_a

Do you know what area this is affecting? I have exactly the same issue as the OP.

I'm in Sydenham SE London if that helps?

Also, I was told it would be fixed on Thursday at 3pm, then someone else in my area was told Monday 3pm, so I'm not that convinced it will be sorted by 9am tomorrow. 

Hi ashgibbo61

How are things looking now 

There are no issues conformed in your area today 

But if you are still having issues, please let me know 

Gareth_L