cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speeds in Sunbury TW16 for over a week, no news on fix

Tr3v0r
Tuning in

For the last week and a half there have been very slow upload speeds in Sunbury (south of Heathrow).  Download speeds are very fast (470 Mbps) but upload are hovering around 0.3 Mbps.  Run the Virgin test multiple times daily and they say the issue is known and being worked on, similar automated message when calling.  With two people working from home, utilising video, MS Teams, hungry network apps etc, it's simply not fast enough.  Now tethering to personal mobile phone and using mobile data on 5G for work.  Sometimes Virgin upload improves to about 5-10 Mbps but then drops again, not lasting more than a few hours.  

Main thing is how to get a sense of when the problem will be fixed.  Need a time estimate for contingency planning or, worst case, changing supplier.  I see from searches that this kind of problem has happened elsewhere with Virgin, so can anyone who's experienced it perhaps share how long it took to fix.  Is this going to be weeks?  

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date and best info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, I've indeed being using all those channels and other, nonVirgin, ones too. Whilst these confirm that there are issues being worked on by technicians, none of them provide an estimate on how long it would take so you can make alternative arrangements. That would be understandable if it were a truly new issue, but for the category of ones that have happened before, they could say, 'our technicians are working on this [known issue] and it typically takes 2-5 days to resolve from our past experience with similar issues.' The most they say is, 'call back or register for further updates,' but even that registering did not produce any updates ... yet this morning things are back to normal. I made office desk reservations to work off site and incurred inconvenience (aggrevated by petrol avialability) and cost that I didn't need to had I known last night that today uploads would be working again today. All this unfortunately timed with my monthly Virgin bill for services I did not receive for 1.5 weeks of the mth. I can understand problems do happen from time to time, but how you manage those communications and the respect you show your customers in that process is a 'moment of truth' for customers and shareholders alike.

Hi @Tr3v0r thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear of your upload speeds being slow.  I have located your account from here and have had a remote look.  It does appear that the area issue has been reported as fixed.  Are your upload speeds back to normal?  If not I can help you arrange a technician visit.

Regards

Lee_R

Thanks Lee, yes it appears to be back to normal now.  It lasted about 10 days.  Do you know what caused it and the chances of happening again perhaps?  
Regards

Trevor

Thanks for the update Tr3v0r and glad to hear you're back up to speed again, I've taken a look and there isn't anything reported n your account that would explain the dips.

If this happens again or you need us in the future please let us know. 

Rob