Menu
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow upload speeds DN15

greetings fellow DN15er, i've also been having terrible upload for over a month now. I used to be able to max out 20mbps constantly, and I have bandwidth logs of doing just that. Now it is impossible, i'll show you some bandwidth logs if you are interested. 

Its nice to know that it isn't just me. 

EDIT: btw don't expect this to be fixed, i'm probably planning on leaving next month when I can. I've tried for over a month to get this resolved but Virgin Media just keep passing the buck. Exact same issue as you, I can do speedtests that max out my connection but any kind of sustained traffic gets throttled, and in the past month its introduced weird wavy traffic (this coincided with the latest firmware release from Virgin Media).

This screenshot doesn't do it justice, because its 1 day resolutions and you can't see the wavy traffic but you can see that the 20mbps line was a near constant flat level and then it changed over a month ago. 

9U7lkli

The wavey traffic that I mentioned, as of recent is much more evident when you look at the traffic via 5 minute resolutions or even 1 minute. 
wds5pCz

So yeah... you aren't alone but don't expect it to be fixed. 

0 Kudos
ixypixie
Joining in
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Well, it's both good and bad that someone else is having the same issue in the same area as me.

Good to know it's not just me - I was pretty certain it wasn't my equipment at this point already. It's nice to have it confirmed though.

Bad to know that someone else has this insufferable issue ongoing. I may well be joining you in a move to BT at this rate. I only really care about my upload speed. I can't add anything to my website, I can't stream, I can't upload images to Discord, adding photos to my email are a total pain in the ass, etc. I shouldn't have to be tethering my Surface to my mobile's 4G to do get stuff done when I'm paying all this money.

For me the next real question is: What are you going to do about it, Virgin Media? If it's a firmware issue on our routers, how do I roll it back to the previous working version? If it's a software issue on your cable boxes, when will you fix it? If there's more than one person in the same area then something is definitely wrong! I'm going to guess you are also having phone calls from the same area, too?

You charged me £20 for my upgrade as a "connection fee" and yet I can't even use my connection. Feel free to refund the fee, cos you clearly aren't holding up your end of the contract right now.

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yeah broadband is a nightmare to diagnose because its contingent on so many intermediaries and it could be any one of those, and you have no real clue.

I'm okay technically with a fair bit of it, I run my own PFSense router and Asus RTAC5300 wifi access point, so I can rule out a lot of the hardware issues. What is nice about your experience is that we rule out the superhub 3 being the issue, because you had the superhub 2 previously. This seems most likely an issue at whatever the CMTS feeds into (i'm guessing we aren't on the same CMTS, i'm in crosby park area). 

When I had BT previously I maxed out my upload all the time, a constant 18mbps. If you do decide to switch with topcashback and current offers you can get a solid 80/20 line for £33 a month. BT come with its own set of issues with their superhub, but you can use a HG612 modem and your own router, which I did. 

0 Kudos
ixypixie
Joining in
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This is a **bleep** joke. When are you going to take some action? Every time I start uploading the connection drops back off. I tried uploading a 100mb file as a test to see just how bad it was and the connection just keeps crapping out.

After years of reliable server for it to come to this is utter frustration. Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi ixypixie, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your upstream. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

I would like to get an engineer out to take a look for you regardless as clearly you have had issues for a while so it would be best to check it. 

I will pop you a Pm to get this arranged. 

Keep an eye out for the Purple Envelope, top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So further to this, i've finally made the switch to BT infinity.

After months of Virgin saying 'no its not our network, everything works great, - your connection is fine and everything looks great' I finally do get a great connection.

Here is a screenshot showing you the traffic before and after migrating from Virgin Media. I am doing the exact same transfers on both. 

Where the e in Time period is, thats where the internet was completely off to change over to BT. On the left you see Virgin Media. On the right you see BT. Exactly the same transfers. One network is overloaded and throttled. One network isn't. 

Another showing how terrible Virgin Media has been over the past month. It has been terrible for over 3 months now. Before it was rock solid.

I can update this in a month and show you how stable BT is. It won't be this wavy traffic. 

0 Kudos
ixypixie
Joining in
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Oh, now that is useful.

I just want my upload speed to work. If swapping ISPs is the answer cos VM are going to ignore the issue and pretend nothing is wrong then I might as well.

I couldn't even be bothered to reply to their "we will send an engineer to your house". What good is that gonna do? If other people are having the same issue and my gear is fine then how about you send that same engineer to do some work on the network instead.

0 Kudos
ixypixie
Joining in
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Capture.PNG

I wish my VM internet was as good as your BT internet!

60KB/s, clearly this is the future. Can't wait untill I can hit triple digit upload speeds. I imagine I will have to wait for them to admit there's an actual error in this post code - or that they have vastly over-saturated the lines here.

I look forward to hearing "I have checked your router and everything looks fine" though. I totally agree. Everything is fine on MY end. Now fix YOUR end.

Sincerely one very **bleep** off customer.

0 Kudos
ixypixie
Joining in
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Capture.PNG

I'm wondering why the chat on Discord is grey for 5 seconds before it is posted. Turns out this AMAZING speed of 11.25KB/s is to blame?

Thanks VM! Totally worth what I'm paying you.

0 Kudos
mrpops2ko
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Part of me feels as though I am rubbing it in for you so this will be my last post lol. I can't be happier with my connection now. Its constant and stable.

This is the past 2 days for me. 

Compare and contrast with the Virgin Media connection I posted a week or so ago. 

Unfortunately with VM the issues are systemic and you won't ever be able to get someone who can resolve this. The people do exist who can resolve this issue but the disconnect between those people who can fix it and the forum staff and the staff you can mail are too broad. 

At best you can make a complaint, which may or may not end up in the hands of someone who can contact someone who can fix this issue. The likely scenario is that they'll just dismiss this as user error though. When clearly its a network issue.

I don't know what to suggest to you, and wish you all the best in getting this resolved. If you can kick up a fuss and leave though, that'd result in the connection stability that you want. 

0 Kudos