cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speed - download OK

hjgfr
Tuning in

Strange problem over the last few days with my VM fibre connection: my download speed is showing about 140 Mbps, which is pretty much in line with what I've been seeing over the last few weeks. However the upload is very poor. I usually get about 20 Mbps but over the last few days has given results below 1 Mbps. Sometimes I can get a reading of up to 4 or 5 Mbps, but often less than 1. Ping times look OK (at around 14 ms).

I usually use the 'Speedtest' windows app but have also tried the one on the thinkbroadband site as a comparison. This gives similar results.

One thing I noticed is that the speed pointer on the Speedtest app usually climbs steadily upwards, reaching its maximum at the end of its run. But now, when doing the upload part of  the test it peaks and then drops back 

All this is also accompanied by problems with maintaining video calls etc so I'm pretty sure something 'real' is happening.

I was rather hoping that VM's network monitoring would spot this and the problem would get fixed but it's been there for a few days now. As well as this, the VM checker says there are no problems in my area so I suppose nothing is being done to look at this.

What do I do next to get some progress? In the past, trying to telephone has been unhelpful so I'm loath to embark on that path.

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
See what you get with hub in modem mode and PC in safe mode with networking
---------------------------------------------------------------

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @hjgfr 

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been having issues with your service speeds. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to do our best to help. I have had a look into your service and there is currently an SNR outage affecting your local area. Our team has been made aware of this and is currently working to resolve this issue. The current estimated fix time is 09 MAR 2023 15:15. Please bear with our team in the meantime. Also, please let us know if the speed issues persist after this and we will do our best to help. 

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

OK, many thanks for getting back to me. I'll continue to monitor the performance.

Have checked again this morning and things seem back to normal.

Using Speedtest, I get a ping time of 13 ms, download of 138 Mbps and upload of 21 Mbps. This is pretty much as expected.

Thanks for letting me know that something was amiss and being worked on.

Interestingly, when using the VM checker tool it always said that there were no known problems in my postcode area.

Good job this forum exists!

We need half the town blacked out before the "Check service status" link shows any issues !

But the 0800 561 0061 automated service is more up to date on locals service issues.

OK, thanks for the tip. Have stored the number for next time...

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update on this hjgfr,

I'm glad the service has returned to normal state for you. 

Do pop back up if you require further assistance.

Take care,

Kain