cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow/unusable broadband

jaimes72
On our wavelength

Hi Virgin

I currently have M100 Fibre Broadband and for the past week+, it has become unusable. Simple websites and emails are not loading and I am having to use mobile data inside my own house.

Here is a speed test for this morning (10am Monday) - the lowest download speed I have had is 0.4Mbps & often Speedtest will not even connect. Screenshot 2021-11-22 100354.png

Even trying to post this has taken longer than expected.

Prior, the internet was fine and this is not a router/Wifi reception issue - as I have tried this in multiple rooms. Factory resetting the router has made no difference & the websites diagnostic page is claiming there are no local area issues.

Any advice would be appreciated as this is incredibly frustrating.

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks Paulina - I'm really glad to hear you noticed an issue & I have messaged you.

On a semi-related note - if a technician were to come, would it be possible to additionally change the location of the houses internal wall socket? I posted about this in a thread but it wasn't feasible due to COVID restrictions at the time. 

Many thanks

Hi James, thank you for PM'ing with @Paulina_Z - hopefully she is supporting you get a technician booked to help resolve your speed issues. 

Regarding the relocation of your internal wall socket, we are carrying out these appointments once more, however there is a one off charge of £25 to do so. If you just let Paulina know as part of your PM conversation, she will be more than happy to book this in for you if you wish!

All the best, 

Molly

jaimes72
On our wavelength

Thanks Molly

Interesting new development: I recently obtained a new laptop which has 5Ghz Wifi, whilst my previous had 2.4Ghz (along with many of my households other devices).

I ran a speedtest for both of them at the same time, when sitting next to each other, in a location where the WiFi connection should not be an issue. The 5Ghz network is at the 100Mbps+ speed, but the 2.4Ghz is struggling (see photos).

5Ghz new laptop5Ghz new laptop  2.4Ghz old laptop2.4Ghz old laptop

Perhaps this could be a router problem? I am hoping that changing the router socket point would also be of benefit

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes 5GHz band is always faster. My Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. I have my own wifi router and have the as separate SSID's - you can do that on the Hubs too.

Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 50-60mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Actually despite my previous post - it turns out I am getting weak connection right now on the 5Ghz wifi card, so maybe more than a router issue

jaimes72_0-1641728465020.png(5Ghz this morning in the same location as the previous images)

Hi jaimes,

Thank for the screenshot. You should really be getting better speeds on the 5Ghz signal, provided that your devices are capable and you don't have tons of back ground apps or programmes running in the background.

What are your wired speeds looking like? Are you able to test your new laptop with an ethernet cable so we can get a better idea of where the issue is stemming from?

Thanks

Beth

Beth

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jaimes72,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your ongoing WiFi connection issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jaimes72,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Message. I have amended your appointment for you.

You can view this change and manager your appointment on your online account.

Keep us updated on how you get on and if you need any further help.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs