cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow unstable broadband

ChrisW1977
Joining in

I have M350 package. Superhub 3. Older speed tests at best about 150 Mp/s which was acceptable. Now at best 47 Mp/s in both rooms but occasionally 6Mp/s and drop outs about once/twice a day.

I have tried a wired connecting to the laptop with a Cat7 ethernet cable and achieved 85 Mp/s but still drops out frequently. Still far off the 150 Mp/s I should expect. Occasional pixillation on Virgin Tivo Box as well.

I have checked all connections and done the switch off many times and still no change in speed, have reset the Hub several times, no change in speed.

Tried Hub on the floor away from tv, on the windowsill not near the radiator. 

Any ideas to resolve this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What do the Hub3 lights do when the signal drops out?

Are you saying the laptop actually drops out when it is connected on the ethernet cable - or is it just slow speeds on that set up

And see this...

Have you checked first for any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What do the Hub3 lights do when the signal drops out?

Are you saying the laptop actually drops out when it is connected on the ethernet cable - or is it just slow speeds on that set up

And see this...

Have you checked first for any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked on my Virgin Media App and says no known problems and also phoned the number you gave and say no issues there. When I used the ethernet cable it dropped out frequently but could this be an issue with my laptop?

I seem to remember that when in a dropout, the lights on the hub are normal, ie: white light at the bottom, or sometimes only a green icon above this. I'll make a note next time.

Now here's the surprise. I checked this morning and my speed according to Broadband speed checker is up to 270mp/s which I haven't seen for ages! Could there be an external interference happening, like another broadband user nearby.

I'm not convinced it'll stay the same. I find this very odd that it is back to normal.

Hi ChrisW1977,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your broadband. I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate you on our systems using your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi ChrisW1977, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message with your information. 

Checking our systems, all is looking good in terms of power and signal levels. There is nothing to suggest an issue with the Hub itself and your area is looking good too. 

In terms of the connections, I'm not seeing anything connected via ethernet cable. Everything seems to be connected via WiFi. 

These links will help to improve things.

If you continue to have issues even after trying the diagnostics on those links then it may be worth looking at our Intelligent WiFi service. You can view more information on that here

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs