cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds on PC not mobile?

vsbean294
Joining in

Hi all,

I'm new to Virgin Media broadband, only installed 12 days ago. On the M200 package. Up to now have been getting 180-220 mbps which is amazing. 

Just noticed yesterday and today, on my PC I have only been getting 2-10 mbps! On my phone it is fine but not my PC. My adapter (TP link) is up to date with latest drivers. Not sure why suddenly its has dropped? I game a lot so keen to get sorted ASAP! 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you testing the speed to your PC with a known good Cat 6 cable, wired directly to the Hub?  If not you need to do so, as all other speed tests are not valid.

Speed is only guaranteed wired to the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @vsbean294

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How is your connection today? Have you tested the speeds via a Cat6 ethernet cable?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have no idea what at Cat6 ethernet cable is, also my router is downstairs and I can't physically move my PC towards it. 

It's just weird that initially I was getting 200-220 download and now I'm getting 2. It is so slow I can't even have more than one tab open on the internet! Never had this problem before with my previous internet supplier.

Hi, if its fine on your phone but the PC is slow it has to be the PC itself, or something related to.  

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Well it is intermittent as well, now I am getting 90. My PC is a brand new high spec build so maybe it is the wifi on the router or adapter side of things? How do I check what it might be?

Usually testing it on other devices, if other devices are getting the speed and one device isn't it can only be one thing.  Try using Cat6 ethernet to eliminate Wireless card/driver.  Could also try flushing DNS on the PC 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Eeeps
Well-informed

What is the TP-Link adapter of which you speak?

I'm assuming this is a power line that connects your hub to your PC: correct?

If so you need to eliminate the possibility that it might be the problem by connecting your PC directly with an Ethernet cable to the SH3.
Then do the test.

Hi vsbean294,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your broadband speeds. 

I have been able to locate your account and have ran some tests and it is showing that we have identified a short term connectivity issue. 

We are working to get this resolved as soon as possible. 

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the reply! No worries 🙂