Menu
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds last two days

You dont need an attenuator, I asked if you had one as removing it would have helped your signal.

Your signal is still terrible, you only have one upstream at 57db and your downstream is 10fb too low

ghiggz
Tuning in
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Think I have a duff hub...

Every day its dropping back to the 20's and only thing that clears it and gets full speed back is a pin in the back reset.. have had to do about 4 times now!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi ghiggz,

As a pinhole reset is temporarily resolving the issue, I'd be more than happy to take a look into the background of your account to check for equipment problems. It does sound like it could be a problem with the hub itself, although I'll run through a few checks to see if I can get you back up and running first.

Obviously we would never ask for sensitive information via an open platform, so I'll send you a private message to collect the necessary details. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
ghiggz
Tuning in
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to add, the TV location is on opposite side of room from incoming face plate.

There was an existing cable from previous Virgin installation about 7/8yrs ago left in situ tacked to skirting board around edge of room about 9-10m long, which I just hooked the new self install splitter cable onto..

Just to rule this out, I just moved the hub over to by the faceplate for now and used the bundled 1m cable with the self install pack, the signal has improved to about -7/8dBmV, but, ran several tests over a few hours and still only getting mid to high 20s down...

I still think the hub is the cause??

Rachael_F has now booked an engineer visit for later today!!

Thanks Rachael..

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Why do you think it's the hub?

0 Kudos
ghiggz
Tuning in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Oh well it's not the hub anyway..

Virgin engineer called out today.

Full marks to those commenting on my  poor signal..

He tested signal in house, said terrible, tested outside at end of cable, same, dug up garden cut into cable by ext wall same, said is perfect down at the cab.

Said the cable must be damaged. He's surprised it's been working at all!!!

But at sometime the council have tarmacced the pavement outside my house and the small inspection chamber where it loops under my wall has been filled with tarmac.

He'll have to get a dig team out and I need 104m of cable replacing to the cabinet!

Earliest they can come is 13th march, and  although he's temp re joined the cable, and tv and tel are workin,  but BB won't come back on, he said it probably won't, so now I have nothing until 13th!!

So Rachael _F @virgin, I've had two weeks of poor and intermittent service, and now from today I'll have two weeks of no service at all, can you arrange a rebate of  this first months broadband cost to my account please?? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ghiggz, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

I am sorry you've got to wait a few weeks for your broadband to be back up and running, at least we now know what the problem is and we will be able to get this fixed for you.

I have sent you a PM so we can apply the relevant loss of service credit to your account.

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
ghiggz
Tuning in
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just an update to say my woes are now all sorted.. thanks for everyones input!!!

VM cable team attended 13/03 and replaced the cable from house to cabinet...

Another tech came about an hour later and then hooked it up to the house.. and now all good!!

Constantly getting about 105-107Mbs when tested, and downstream levels are all now around -6/-7dbmv although I have extended the internal cable to 10m which is causing a slight drop, when I connect hub using bundled 1m cable I get -3dbmv, both much better than my previous -13..

thanks!!

0 Kudos