Menu
DrunkMonk74
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds - Vivid 200 Gamer - Area 21

Hi

I just joined VM (1st April) and live in the East Dulwich area. I'm genuienly shocked at the slow speed I'm getting at peak times, (after 7pm ish on weekdays through to about midnight) and most of the weekend. I should be getting around 200Mb download and 20Mb upload. At peak times, this is dropping to around 25-30Mb download and 6Mb upload.

I bought Vivid 200 Gamer as I wasn't supposed to be traffic managed at any time.

I'm guessing this is a high utilisation issue. I'm going to ring VM tomorrow and get through to someone in the UK, (offshore guys just seem to be following a script). Having done some digging on these forums, you have 14 days from installation to cancel. So if nothing useful comes from that call I'll be cancelling my service.

However reading the forums there seems to be alot of people affected by this. And you may well be well past those 14 days. But if you are experiencing the same issues and you've passed the 14 days then you don't have to put up with this level of service.

Reading another post there is something called the "2015 Ofcom’s Voluntary Code of Practice on Broadband Speeds", which essentially says that if an ISP's BB speed is not good enough, the ISP should "offer the customer the opportunity to leave their contract immediately, and without penalty."

You can and are legally allowed to cancel your service if you are experiencing similar issues. You will have to give the 30 days notice, but there should be no penalty attached thereafter.

I was with VM in the same area 3 or 4 years ago, and I left them then because this was unacceptable. I thought they would have sorted this out by now, but clearly not. What is the point of having Usain Bolt advertise blazing fast speeds when you don't get anywhere near it when you need it??!!

0 Kudos
DrunkMonk74
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds - Vivid 200 Gamer - Area 21

I should add that this is over a wired connection. I've tested this with my PC connected via CAT6 cable to the SuperHub 3 and also with the SuperHub 3 in modem mode and my PC connected via cable to my router. I've also swapped out network cable in case there was a fault with that.

Nothing has helped.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey there DrunkMonk74,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that your speeds have been slow since you've joined us! I've taken a look and I'm sorry to confirm that we are working on a fault in your area right now. The fault ref is: F004774041 and it's currently due for review on the 5th July. This fault is responsible for causing slow speeds, especially during peak time hours.

Please accept my apologies for this and let me know if you've got any other questions.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
gsweet87
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

5th of July? Are you kidding me. Can we expect compensation for this? Subscription services currently unusable.

0 Kudos
DrunkMonk74
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J

Thanks for the reply. Are you able to confirm when fault F004774041 was opened please?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey DrunkMonk74,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Really sorry but we don't have that info but please do let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was given a review date of 17th July for high utilisation (which was a push foward from march 28th, which was a push forward from jan 12th)... they just pushed the date forward to 19th Jan 2018! Want to put a bet on your date being pushed forward by months or years?

0 Kudos
gsweet87
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, is the fault review date of 05/07/2017 still likely? I believe they are currently in the planning permission stage. I've had no internet (not slow, none at all) for the last two days.

0 Kudos
DrunkMonk74
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well today is the 5th July. Any news on fault F004774041??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

First mention of it on the forums was December last year.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Broadband-outage-SE15/m-p/3268056/highlight/...

I doubt you'll see any improvement this side of Christmas.

Dave.

0 Kudos