Menu
GT1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds VIVID 350

Hello,

i'm a newbie looking for some help. 

For a while now i have been experiencing slow speeds despite my internet being the vivid 350.  I can normally resolve this temporarily by restarting the router.  On a a few occasions  i have restored it to factory settings. I restored it last night and my download and upload speeds were fast as expected again. Today though it's running slow again.

Any advice on what to do or check? below are some screenshots i've seen others post.

thanks in advance

Screenshot_2018-11-30 Share Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

Screenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0(1).pngScreenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0(2).pngScreenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0(3).pngScreenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0(4).pngScreenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0(5).pngScreenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0(6).pngScreenshot_2018-11-30 Hub 3 0.png

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow speeds VIVID 350

Cant see screenshots yets (waiting for mods approval) so in the meantime...  Do you see any "dropouts" or is it just slow speeds?  What speeds are you getting on wifi on the 2.4GHz network and also on the 5GHz one?  And on what devices are you checking?  Also have you tried selecting a different server?  What speeds do you get on a Cat5e cabled gigabit enabled computer/laptop at the same time?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

From the partial screenshot of the downstream power levels, your power levels are too low with a very poor SNR on one of the channels.

You are only picking up one Upstream channel with the power level maxxed out

You can give the coax cable a quick once over, checking for obvious signs of damage and kinks and checking all connectors are hand tight.

You will need to contact VM for resolution, either by waiting here about a week until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response.

0 Kudos
GT1
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello, thanks for the advice. I'll check the cables and the connectors as suggested.

I've uploaded the full downstream info just in case that helps.  Out of interest what should the power levels and the SNR figures be ?

thanks

downstream 1.JPGdownstream 2.JPGScreenshot_2018-12-02 Share Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

0 Kudos
GT1
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

network log 1.JPGnetwork log2.JPG

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi GT1,

Have you had a technician out recently? I've just checked your power levels and they are much lower and in a good healthy place now as opposed to the levels you've posted.

Are you still seeing slow speeds as I didn't see any other issues while checking your signal.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
GT1
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for checking in.

I checked all the cables as suggested, they were all tight. ( thank you for that suggestion)

The only other thing i did was to  remove an in-line attenuator, which was put in by an engineer when i had a Shub 2 installed many moons ago, just in case this was an issue. After this i also noticed a difference in the numbers. Wasn't quite sure what they meant though.

Out of curiosity, is it normal to have all these dropped packets?

PHOTO-20**:**:**:**:**:**.jpgbqm 1.JPG

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If your connection was working okay during the block of red then this is a false positive reading and a known issue.

Under the firewall settings, if you untick IP Flood Detection this should resolve this.

How are the speeds now that the power levels are back in spec?

Kind regards

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos