cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds On Deco S4

Ezuzu
Tuning in

Due to the SuperHub 3, absolutely sucking with range. I've been advised I switch to the Deco S4, and putting the Hub3 into Modem mode, though I've been getting really terrible speeds with constant drop outs. Paying for 350M, getting barely 100mb. 

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried to get some answers from TP-Link, but no avail. 

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help. 

Thanks

40 REPLIES 40

Did you resolve this issue?

I have the same problem with deco M4 on a 1gbp plan.

• HUB4 (Modem Mode) > Laptop (Ethernet) 900mb download speed
  • HUB4 (Modem Mode) > Deco > Laptop (Ethernet) 900mb download speed
  • HUB4 (Modem Mode) > Deco > Laptop (Wifi 5ghz) 300mb download speed

I then tried reverting HUB4 in router mode and disabling the deco.

• HUB4 (Router Mode) > Laptop (Ethernet) 900mb download speed
  • HUB4 (Router Mode) > Laptop (5ghz Wifi) 300mb download speed

On the hub 3 i was getting 350mb on a 350mb plan, so cant figure out my deco is not providing this on laptop via wifi.

Laptop specs:
https://www.europc.co.uk/dell-xps-13-9370-intel-core-i5-8250u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-13-3-1920x1080-fhd-d...

So it capable of handling 800mb?

Any advice on improving wifi speed on deco?

I was having trouble getting good wifi speeds, but the problem turned out to be quite a simple replacement ethernet. Though with deco you need good signal strength to receive good speeds.

But if you are receiving the same as how you receive the hub4 I'd imagine it'd be the same on the deco? 

Also with the deco, it's a good idea to use the ethernet instead of the Wifi, since you'll receive much better speeds, and stable too.

Exactly, The Ethernet speed on the HUB 4 is 800mb but the ethernet speed from the dec M4 is 250mb

I did never manage to get the same speeds even with good strength signal to be honest, from what I've gathered from other people telling me that wifi will never have the same speeds as ethernet, so if you do want to extend the range, that's a price you'll have to pay. 

I pay for 350MB, and get 200MB with the deco setup on Wifi, and connected via ethernet on deco.

i think its a problem with the deco not accepting the speeds from the router

This tends to happen when you go mesh it seems I've searched around multiple forums, and found to be a very common problem. Hardwire ethernet will always be the way to go. Though I had a nighthawk before the deco system, and use to get really good speeds even via the WiFi, so maybe you're right.

Maybe out of my depth here but when I was looking to but my mesh kit the reviews were saying what the manufacture specify speed is utter rubbish and you by lucky to get 1/3 of the max.

The S4 is rated 867mbs so realistic what speed can you expect from this?

AC1200
5 GHz: 867 Mbps (802.11ac)
2.4 GHz: 300 Mbps (802.11n)

For a M100 or M200 this hardware should be fine but if I was payng for M350 that can push out 365mps on a good connection would invest in higher spec mesh.. just my 2 cent 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

kindredretail
On our wavelength

I have the same setup. Due to my TV, Xbox etc.. being right next to the hub, they are hardwired to the hub.

Port 2 of the hub is connected to the 'main' deco. My mesh is setup as AP mode with fast roaming and beam forming enabled.

The main deco speed tests average over 350mb. I get less from my satellites as they are unfortunately behind a thick brick wall but hey ho 80mb is fine for the office pcs.

Note: I previously setup a backhaul upstairs (350mb again) but didn't like where the deco was. So went back to WiFi instead

My suggestion is try AP mode on the deco.

Best of luck. Keni

Oh P.S

WiFi speeds will decrease as distance or obstructions are increased. A basic test is to set them up in a line with no obstructions at about 5 meters apart. The last inline will slightly drop in speed. 

Add brick walls and metallic objects in the way will do this also. I've noticed the benefits though. My devices remain connected when roaming around the house which is way better than the old fashioned AP mode with multiple routers, speeds will differ though unless backhauling. 

AP would be the same as Hardwiring, If it was possible I would've done that around my house hence why I bought the Deco mesh system. But I do appreciate the help.

You can set the decos to ap mode?

In AP mode you loose a few funky features but I'm not bothered. Backhaul is best if you want to get max speed. I tested backhaul Vs my old 2 routers with one in ap mode and the speeds were the same but when walking around with my phone, my phone would never switch to the faster (closer) router. This is where I see the benefits of a mesh in ap

You should get a decent signal unless there are too many obstructions. Normal walls aren't an issue but brick and mortar will be.

I wouldn't bother testing the hub. It looks to me that you're getting pretty decent speeds there.