cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed

iankingdon
Joining in

Hi all , my broadband is supposed to be around 600-700mbs that's what I pay for , which it was for awhile and now it's running at 50mbs I have done everything restarted hub left unplugged for 30 mins but still only around 50mbs even with nothing connected ,, any ideas please 

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly all speed tests need to be done wired directly to the Hub, as VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150

In the meantime, post your power levels and network log from your Hub.  Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment on your circuit.

You could try a 60 second pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi iankingdon,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your speed. 

I have been able to locate your account and I am unable to see any area issues that could be causing this. 

Have you been able to try any of the suggestions advised by Adduxi? 

^Martin

Still not joy I have tried everything that has been said but the thing I can't understand is why it can drop that much ?? Laptop plugged in directly to router and reading 52-60 mbs and nothing in the house is switched on to broadband,, and I have only had Virgin media for 5 months and 2 months of that was no connection as they had to dig up road ,, still not received any compo for that either ,, considering I was promised , 

Hi iankingdon, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

I'm, sorry to hear you're still having issues. 

Taking a look at the account, I can see your hub power levels and signal levels are all within optimal range. There are no errors or issues showing for the area and the uptime on the hub is great too. 

I can see from your connected device that you have a games console connected through an ethernet cable but no PC or laptop. If you're running the speed test through an ethernet cable on the games console then this could obscure the results. 

Please try connecting the Hub to a Laptop or PC to the Hub via ethernet cable, turn off the Hub and leave off for a few minutes then once turned back on and all set up, re run the speed test through speedtest.net. 

Pop a screenshot of the results below and we can help further. 

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs