cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed

carlos74
Joining in

Hi for the past two months my internet speed is really slow. I’m paying for 200mb but only getting between 10-15mb I’ve tried resetting modem moving it about but still ng. It’s that bad I’ve got to use mobile date to do my work on. Please help me I’ve tried ringing but can’t get through. 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you do this first ....

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I’ve only got iPads and phones so can’t plug a laptop in to test a wired connection. I’ve a ps5 so could plug that in if it works. Cheers carl

Hi Carl, 

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with your speeds. 

A console isn't a great device to test the speed on as more often than not there are things running in the background which can obscure the results. If you're not able to test via an ethernet cable then our support may be limited. 

When trying to take a look at your account to test your power levels and look at your area, I'm only getting a former account. I'll need to take some details from you in order to look further at things. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate more once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Good Morning Carl, sadly Kath is offline today, so I've picked the private message you sent here up in her absence - hello my name is David 🙂

Looking into the account, it appears that the hub has an uptime of 26 days. 

Can you possibly perform a reboot or even a pin hole reset to see if this can improve the speed?

Please run a test on Wi-Fi in the same room, and if possible, perform it on the games console, via a Cat 6 Ethernet cable with the hub in modem mode to see what speeds we're acheiving

Kindest regards,

David_Bn