cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed wired connection

PhilipF
Superfast

SH4 1gig service since early November, Ethernet Wired cat 6 cable connection to a New desktop PC till about 3 weeks ago all ok, speeds of over 900. now all speed test give a download of between 250 and 350. Sam knows says Hub speed 1114 to PC is again about 300.

The Lan light flashes orange, had two VM techs visit and say nothing is wrong. Dell have replaced Motherboard with network card today, no difference.

VM say they will monitor account and book tech visit if needed. 

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log from the Hub.

Setup a BQM here to record your circuit   www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

Meantime try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Also check with a different Cat 6a cable and check the cables are seated properly.  

If using a Windows PC, try using "Safe Mode with Networking support" to rule out any software problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Please post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log from the Hub.

Checked by VM twice all within normal parameters.

Meantime try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Done no faults

Also check with a different Cat 6a cable and check the cables are seated properly.  

Done

If using a Windows PC, try using "Safe Mode with Networking support" to rule out any software problems.

Done

@PhilipF wrote:

Checked by VM twice all within normal parameters.

Done no faults

Done

Done

When you say 'done', does that mean there was no speed difference?

No Change to speed, VM second line support say the wired connection is reduced because of all of the wifi devices have an affect on the wired speed. something that has never been mentioned before. The only fact is the ethernet connection has gone from 900/ 950 to 280 up to 440.

Hey @PhilipF,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you're having, I have looked further into this and can see that there is an issue with your downstream power levels that will need a technician visit to resolve. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Can I just say I have had two tech visits that really didnt help

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @PhilipF.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign in to My Virgin Media and you’ll see your appointments on your account dashboard.

Regards,

Steven_L