Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed after upgrading to 1gig from M500

MChaudry
Tuning in

Hi,

I recently upgraded from M500 to 1gig.

hub 4 in modem mode getting between 600-750mb using a Cat6 cable.

Engineering has been out and swapped to a new unit which helped as previously was only getting 90mb from wired connections.

Raised a complaint but just heard anything back.. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thinking of going back to M500 as I normally got the speed advertised so the extra money doesn’t seem to be justified..

thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are there any other devices connecting on wifi or ethernet at the same time that could be "interfering"?

If you connect just two devices and then run the speed tests simultaneously - what do they add up to? Should be ~950Mps in total on a 1 GB connection.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

no just the one connection when testing.

That’s what I was expecting 950mb ish as the ports are limited to that I believe.

thanks 

Hi @MChaudry,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the current speeds you're getting. If you're on a Gig1 package then the minimum guaranteed download speeds we'd expect from that would be 570Mbps, so if you're getting between 600-750Mbps then you are certainly within spec.

However, we're certainly more than happy to help see if we can improve matters and see if we can get things going a little quicker for you if possible.

I've noticed that you've said you're using the router in Modem Mode. Do you have a third party router connected to it, or are you connecting directly to our router and only using a wired connection? I've also checked our systems and am currently unable to detect anything on the line to suggest a potential impact on speeds.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zack,

I am directly connecting to the hub 4.

Thanks 

Hi MChaudry

Thanks for coming back to us. I've tried to run some checks on the system today but it's not able to do so. Are you in Modem Mode currently? Can you put the router in router mode if so.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill