cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow, slow, stop, stuttering, broken WiFi

Yossarian22
Tuning in

It's getting silly now, a speed test of under 2mbps unusable for work and broken connectivity throughout the day. 

I had called the service team to look into this around a week ago and they made vague noises about looking into it but no incident number or call reference and no change in service. 

18 REPLIES 18

Thanks John, I've used the app and it hasn't identified blackspots even when we know there are some.

Sometimes we'll lose internet on the hub but can still use the extender. 

When running diagnostics it says that most connected devices have a weak connection. The other issue is that I can access WiFi on my devices in the attic but my wife can't. 

We have an engineer coming over tomorrow so we'll see what he says. 

The recommendation to place the router away from other devices is not really an option given the siting of the WiFi cable and the reality of having many devices under the TV (which we keep switched off when not in use).

Thank you for updating us @Yoassarian22

Now that the engineer has been how are things looking and what did they advise? 

Thank you again.

The engineer didn't really engage with any of my questions or issues, preferring instead to install a new Hub. We still have issues, the WiFi pod arrived today and I was surprised to see it takes 24 hours to get going, also that it asks us to switch off the extenders we have in place. Is that necessary?

The engineer was also very dismissive of our speed test results, claiming that they didn't give a true picture of speed. Our interent was so poor we couldn't run a paid online session for my daugher meaning we have to pay out again if she wants to reschedule.

Current speed:

Laptop (via VPN) to WiFi - 69.64

Phone (via extender 2.4) - 5.59

Phone (via Hub) - 33.9 

Hi Yossarian22

Thanks for coming back to the thread. 

Did you also follow the Pod set up process - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/intelligent-wifi - let us know on that one 🙂

Can you also do a speedtest, via Laptop connected via Ethernet, in router mode, with only that device connected at speedtest.net please. Let us know how you get on

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

It's not going well, yesterday was fine, today I'm struggling to get 2Mbps making my machine all but unusable. I can't do the ethernet test as none of our laptops have a fitting and I'm not spending out on more kit until I get paid. The closest I can probably try is my old consoles but that's not a great comparison as I don't use those for work.

We have the WiFi pod which has made stability a bit better but speed is still waaaaaay below the threshold for expected service for the price we are paying. I am disappointed in our engineer visit and we still have poor service.

I had a look at the Intelligent WiFi page and it looked like a sales pitch rather than set up. The device seemed to emphasise that it was a matter of plugging in waiting a day and off you go.

I have wasted 40 minutes trying to open a PowerPoint presentation and given estimates of 20 mins to download a PDFof 3.47MB.

For added confusion, my phone is showing that it is connected to the WiFi (no internet access) but my laptop still works albeit still slowly.

I tried the diagnostics test on the Virgin Media site and it says there are no problems in the area. I try to test the hub and then get:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

I also get this when I try to log a complaint!

Hi Yossarian22, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

As the speed tests are being completed through WiFi, we do need results from a non console device connected through an ethernet cable. This allows us to rule out some things as being the cause. 

Once you have run this test that John suggested above, pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs