Menu
Toothy
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow peak time speed

Had 50mb Broadband for 3 days and each evening the speed is 3-5mb.

It's 50mb at 4am I discovered this morning which is really not that useful. Should I send it all back as I'm still in cooling off period.

Also the massive old Tivo box and UI are like something from the 90s.

Oh, and the installer left my phone cable as two striped copper wires hanging from the wall and told my girlfriend to get an electrician to put a box on it. **bleep**??!!

0 Kudos
djmandrick
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow peak time speed

I had no issues on 50mb for two years then upped it to the free 70mb about six months ago. Since then it's been all over the place. Last few weeks I've been running tests for this exact reason you describe - I don't mind being throttled a bit (I don't have the TV i just have standalone broadband so i use it for everything and i@m the sole user) but all i'm doing is browsing the web or gaming. Sometimes it won't even run iplayer on the odd occasion i do want to watch something. Hardly requires massive amounts of bandwidth as I'm on 70mb and can't even watch a 1080p youtube video sometimes. This occurs at a variety of times. The upload speed is always 5mb so there's no issue with my equipment other than the 2.0 router which has never even put out a wireless signal so I've networked a cable in upstairs to a different router to get that. I regularly get somewhere between 8-12mb in the evenings sometimes less. I'm also getting dropouts this week now which is no good playing competitive Overwatch, It's just booted me off and got me a three hour ban. I ran yet another a test (speedtest at Oopla) at 14:25 yesterday and got 11mb, re-ran it twenty minutes later after yet another 20 minute disconnect and got 71. When its not deadly slow I normally get about 28-32 nothing like the 70mb it should be. Yet I pay for 70 and I've seen that about three times. Even at 2am it's not full sometimes. Its sporadic and really annoying.  I came on here to find out how to log a query into what's going on without needing to ring their support line from my mobile which isn't Virgin so it'll cost me a fortune. There is an "issue in my area" which is being fixed as we speak having looked but that doesn't explain the last month in particular and why it fluctuates so badly. I have to pull the plug on the the router every three or so days to maintain any form of consistency even at the half speed i most commonly get.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey Toothy,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your slow speeds, I know this is inconvenient. I've taken a look at this and I'm sorry to report that we're working on a fault in your area. The fault ref is: F004271731 and it's due for review on the 5th April. While this fault is on-going you might notice that your speeds are reduced, especially during peak time hours and to resolve this we will need to perform network updates.

Please let me know if you've got any other questions and thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
BrunoAlex
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue as Toothy. I had my 50 Mbps internet fitted 8 of April and yesterday I noticed evenings i get 3 to 5 Mbps which is ridiculous.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi BrunoAlex, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with the slow peak time speeds. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to be suffering from some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance especially during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F004803169 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the beginning of July.

Thanks for your patience with regards to this matter, I will need to pass this onto another team to take a look at this and assist your further. Before I can do this I will need to clear security with you as our process for doing so demands.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out