cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet

puihang
Tuning in

I have a hub 3 and 512mb package installed yesterday.  When I did the first speed test in the lounge where the hub is, I got 526mbps which was amazing!  When I tested again this morning, it was down to 312mbps.  Still pretty fast, so I'm not complaining.  

However, when I go upstairs to my study, even though I am still getting 261mbps, the internet is slow, wifi shows I am down to 2 bars only. If I try to look at Facebook on my phone, the pictures don't load for ages.  If I take my phone off wifi, the images snap into place instantly!   I also have an amazon tv firestick upstairs and more often than not, the wifi just disappears or I get a message "no internet connection".  

I've ordered a wifi pod for upstairs in the hope that it will fix the issue but given that I am still getting 261mbps upstairs which is significantly faster than what I was getting with BT, my internet connection is so slow that it is faster to use 4G on my phone.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm assuming this is all over wifi. so yes a Pod "should" help a bit.

Best solution is to run a Cat 6 ethernet cable upstairs and install a good wifi access point.

Wifi is very susceptible to interference, which is why the VM wifi guarantee is only 20Mb.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello puihang,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with the connection upstairs.
Can you please let us know how the service is once the Pod arrives.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Will do. I suspect I will need a second wifi pod, as when I was with BT, I needed an additional two discs to have complete wifi around the house. I did try to order two wifi pods but was told I could only order one and then a second one later, which I have to say is frustrating because it means that if I still don't have acceptable wifi / internet service, I will be out of my 14 days to cancel

Hey @puihang, thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you're having with this Wi-Fi pod. 😞
Usually there is a timeframe of 5 days to ensure that the pod is connected in, may I ask if by now you have been able to order the 2nd pod via the Connect App?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs