Menu
Sylvester81
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speeds

Can someone from virgin read this and look into my slow internet speeds? I’m on vivid 350 and since day one been getting fantastic speeds, then all of a sudden over the Christmas period only getting around 5mbps during peak times, around 30mbps after 9pm then just over 100mbps after 11pm. I’ve tested the network each day and it’s clearly being traffic managed when my package states it shouldn’t. During peak times my upload speed is actually 4 times faster than my download. I’ve reset the modem, tested using WiFi and Ethernet, and on several devices and all come back with the above results. This needs sorting asap, I’m paying a premium price for a package I’m clearly not receiving. Thanks

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speeds

You're not being traffic managed, Virgin no longer operate any traffic management on their network and in the event they did, why would they single out one customer to be the victim of it?

However, with that said, I recommend posting the downstream stats, upstream stats, and network log from your Hub to provide diagnostics in relation to your issue.
0 Kudos
Sylvester81
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response but I asked for a virgin employee and I don’t believe you are. I am not messing around posting modem stats for general forum users to try to talk intelligent and use big words and get me no where. Il wait for virgin and let them test my network and modem. But thanks :-)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

if you dont want community support don't post on a community forum.

your phone line is your official VM support option. you can find the number in the contact us int he footer of the site

Sylvester81
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep posted in a community forum which is viewed by virgin and it clearly stated I wanted a response from virgin. I don’t need to waste time posting modem details for the general public to try and determine my issue and not be able to do anything to rectify. By the way, virgin has been contacted, determined they couldn’t see an issue then when I retested guess what.................all back to normal. So to the original response, yep there was traffic management. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All because you've decided there was traffic management does not make it so, correlation != causation.

As I pointed out previously they would not maintain traffic management abilities on their network just to decide to turn it on for a single customer out of a pool of customers exceeding 10,000,000.
Given some people max out their 350mbps for most of the day, why would they not turn it on for those people instead, people who actually have a significant impact on available bandwidth.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

if your slow speed = traffic management
then
your logic = dumb user

Its like being back at work already

0 Kudos
Sylvester81
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So what could it be? Certain speeds at different times of day is clearly traffic management when I’m supposed to be on vivid 350. It’s been tested on many devices all giving same results on both wired and wireless. Love the virgin defenders on these forums. Seriously find something more productive to do with your time. Anyway once again can someone from virgin look at my line as it’s absolutly rubbish again today. Currently 5mbps out of the claimed 350. Over a week now this has been happening and the only time I get 350 is coincidently on the speed test you advise, but surprising not on any other speed tests. Oh and this isn’t a question for the community know it alls. Thanks 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Once again you've making assumptions based on insufficient data, the more likely answer is that your area or cabinet has a congestion problem if the speed issues appear time based. They do not operate traffic management, I'm not being a 'Virgin defender' in saying this.

2019-01-06_19-17-05.pngfast.com2019-01-06_19-18-01.pngSamKnows performance test2019-01-06_19-15-43.pngSpeedtest.net over different times, days, and servers

Where's the traffic management?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sylvester81, thanks for getting in touch.

I can confirm that the information provided to you by the community members / SuperUsers is correct and we do not traffic manage our customers.  To confirm, as knowledgeable individuals, we rely on our SuperUsers and members to support with queries and concerns within our community.  As this is an open forum, posts from other members may appear within yours but if you would prefer to speak to us one on one we would recommend giving us a call on 0345 454 1111 or 150 option 1/2/3.

I have ran a few tests on your service for the upstream, downstream and SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) and cannot identify any problems. 

If you are still experience issues with the service,  please get back in touch and we will be happy to help. 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos