cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fibre broadband speed

delboyuk2508
On our wavelength

Hi

We just had a new 213 Gbs fibre line installed yesterday, but on checking the speed we find that we are only getting around 40 mbs, when our next door neighbour is getting in excess of 200 mbs, why is that happening to us?

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @delboyuk2508 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

Can you please confirm how you are doing your speed test please - is this over wifi or a wired ethernet connection, can you also confirm the device you're using please?

Our minimum speed guarantee is only applicable to ethernet connected devices as outlined here

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I did a test this evening wired via ethernet directly to the router and I got 66.2 download & 19.8 upload, incidently we are connected to the network by a temporary connection via our next door neighbour's box, as your contractor, Avonline, has not been able to do the necessary outside work yet apparently they are way way behind schedule, would it make a difference to our speed when we have had all the work done?

Many thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @delboyuk2508,

Thank you for coming back to us about your ongoing speed issue! Do you have another device that you can run your speed test on to ensure that the results you've had are accurate?

Have you been able to take a look at our Speed Up page to see if this can help with your speed issue? If so, let us know if this improved your speeds at all.

I have been able to run some internal checks on your power levels and they all look good and within spec. Please carry out a Hub Reset to see if this can help with your speeds. 

Your connection to your neighbours should not impact your connection to the point that your speeds slow.

Please keep us updated on how you get on so we can help further. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I tested the speed using my laptop connected straight to the hub using ethernet, the result was the same, I have reset the hub and tested again there is no change in the download or upload speeds 70mbs down and 20mbs up on average.

I think maybe it is to do with the temp connection we have so we will wait until Avonline and Virgin have finished the installation before testing again. Also I had a text from Virgin the other day about porting our phone number across, they asked me to reply "CHAT" to the text but all replies bounce back unsent, would you check this for me please, the number they used was 07445 576718.

Many thanks

Hi delboyuk2508,

The number would have been us and it will be regarding an issue with the number port.

I can take a look for you if you wish. 

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

And keep on pushing for the permanent connection to be put in. 

It is a common (mis)practice for a temporary connection left to become a permanent one. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.