Menu
Aayronraff
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow connection - should be 100mb!!!

I have been with Virgin for about 5/6 months now, paying for a speed which is supposedly quicker than my last one with Sky. Wow. 

it is absolutely dreadful, I play games online quite a lot and the connection is so so so bad. I even spoke to someone and they said an engineer was coming out. Been about 3 months now but fingers crossed he’ll get here soon. Terrible terrible terrible. So annoying paying for something you clearly aren’t getting 😣

Does anyone excluding virgin workers know how I can improve the speed? I have ran speed tests moved it to every corner of my house (it’s currently about 1 metre away from my console). Just really at my wicks end now. I say exc Virgin workers as they just tel me to do stuff I’ve done before. Unless they improve the speed of it themselves I ain’t interested at all. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow connection - should be 100mb!!!

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.

If you are expecting >100mbs (I know you aren't) that means on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers. If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

Report back what that gets.

As you are only expecting ~100 then a 10/100 enabled devie will suffice - but all other stuff applies.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow connection - should be 100mb!!!

Wireless connections aren’t guaranteed or promised. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos