cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed on 1gb package

Cmrobertson33
Dialled in

Hi

I am on the Ultimate Volt bundle with Gig1 broadband, however the fastest I get on my wireless devices (e.g.iPhone 12) is 450mb, it never goes over 500mb.

Please can someone assist?

Many thanks.

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming you have a Hub 4, that would be about right for wifi.  If you need faster wifi, you'll need to buy a 3rd party wifi 6 capable router.

VM only guarantee cabled speeds to the Hub, not over wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming you have a Hub 4, that would be about right for wifi.  If you need faster wifi, you'll need to buy a 3rd party wifi 6 capable router.

VM only guarantee cabled speeds to the Hub, not over wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your advice, I will probably reduce my wifi package when contract is up in July.

Hi there @Cmrobertson33

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums. 

I am so sorry to hear that this issue has been occurring. I have checked the Hub specs and I can see that there are issues with the upstream levels that will require an engineer. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

Hello @Cmrobertsn33

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for the issues with your connection – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you. 

Cmrobertson33
Dialled in

Hi

Engineer attended this morning, nice and early 👍. Confirmed there was an issue with the upstream and put a new splitter in powered by the mains. Also confirmed that to increase the Wi-Fi speed in the house, I would need to purchase a Wi-Fi 6 router, otherwise Wi-Fi speed doesn’t go about 500mb really. Something that probably customers need to know before upgrading, because really Wi-Fi wise you don’t get the full benefit.

Many thanks. 
Craig 

Yup WIFI-6 routers provide the maximum performance for the 1GB virgin offering...

What Wi-Fi 6 router would you recommend? Many thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do some searching on sites like Techradar and Techadvisor. Note you might also want one that has a 2.5GB (or 10GB !) port so that you can maximise ethernet connectivity.  Triband would also be recommended to reduce speed drops over any "hops" between other units

The Asus ones are oft recommended on here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.