cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Wifi Speeds

willcole28
Joining in

Hi,

I have got the M500 broadband but it is still very slow in several rooms. We have followed the advice with the placement of the hub etc but still face these issues. Is there any way that I can order boosters to fix the issue?

Regards,

Will

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a…

(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4)).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with average usage

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Have Wi-Fi issues constantly drops to less than 2mb from a standard 110mb.Took several minutes and two attempts to post this message during 2mb period.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @willcole28 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your speeds. 

Have you managed to follow the advise from jbrennand? If so has this made any improvements to your services? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak,

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked.

Regards,

Will

Hi @willcole28 thanks for getting back to us.

I am sorry your speeds have not improved.  I would like to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Lee,

Looking forward to your message.

Regards,

Will

lordmelch
Tuning in

Define slow... If you have fixed devices i.e. TV Streaming, Games consoles, try a wired connection if possible.
Try with only one device and all others powered off and disconnected in case the network is being flooded by something faulty.

Change your WiFi Password..

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @willcole28

How are things currently? Has Lee managed to help resolve the issue over PM? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

He hasn’t got back to me I’m afraid