cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Upload Speed

Mravant
Tuning in

Hi, 

Im posting as i have had no luck with VM CS via the phone and they repeated state that they only look at download speeds and not interested in upload and will not send out an engineer. 

I am on 200Mb service but really struggling with upload speeds (3-6Mb on a good day) which is impacting video calls for work and unable to even share my screen during work. 

From reading other articles it seems the signal strength to the modem may be the issue but i am by no means an expert. 

I have taken some screen grabs of my numbers and would appreciate any help. 

Screenshot_20210922-153457_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210922-153515_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210922-153526_Chrome.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do this...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Nothing obviously wrong in those stats (that I can see).

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related.

Also does it happen on multiple different devices - in case the device itself has the issue?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Jbrennand, 

Thank you for taking a look. 

I have just run the check on a wired connection and its the same.

It is happening across all the devices across the house (don't want to count as it may make me cry)!!!

I have Super Hub 3 in modem mode and have Google mesh taking care of the wifi. The hub has the magenta / red light on, no other lights.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ahhhhh... modem mode.

Can you take the Google kit out of the equation... disconnect it all and put the Hub back into normal router mode for a while. When its settled down try the uploads again - just to see whether the issue lays somewhere in the Google kit.

Report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

Will do that over the weekend as I can't flaff around during the week, just in case i break something, hahahah.

Will report back as soon as i have done it 🙂 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Or you can connect a PC to the hub in modem mode (power hub off for 2mins) then do a upload test.
---------------------------------------------------------------

sounds a bit easier so will try that..

Thank you!

So, i done what has been suggested and have had some interesting results. 

It seems that my upload speeds are only bad during the day and absolutely fine from say 6.30pm onwards until 9am following day. 

To me it is clear that there is no fault with any of the equipment but somewhere else. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am unable to continue working like this. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do this...

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mravant

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing some issues with slow upload speeds, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

How has the service been since posting? Have you noticed any differences now you're back in Hub mode? Have you been able to set up a BQM as advised by jbrennand? 

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide