Menu
dizzypippa
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds in Area 30

Over the last two weeks we have experienced extremely low speeds at peak times, yesterday we ran several speed tests with all results falling in between the 0.12mbps and 1.04mbps mark. 

When we rang Virgin Media yesterday as there are no known faults in the area on the website, we were told that there are works going on which will be fixed on Friday 17th March (this coming Friday). We were also basically told that we would have to grin and bear it as there is nothing we can do in the meantime. 

I'm a little concerned as after speaking to several people who live locally and have Virgin Media as their internet provider, they have been told different dates for this issue to be fixed, some as late as May!! Were we only told Friday to stop us complaining on the phone?! Needless to say, the customer service provided yesterday was slightly concerning as we have never had a problem with Virgin Media before and the gentleman we spoke to on the phone yesterday just didn't seem interested in our issue and even laughed at us when we suggested that if the issue isn't resolved soon we would have to look at other providers. 

Has anyone had this sort of experience before? or is anyone in area 30 in a similar position/been told something different on the phone? 

0 Kudos
Rovicoast
Just joined
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds

My Virgin broadband speed is going on 4.5 Mbps . Are there any problems in this area?

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds

I am an area 30 sufferer and have been provided with a "review date" of 17th May, presumably 2017.  However, i have seen at least one other over-utilisation ticket number quoted in here for area 30, with a March "review date", I think it was.

Therefore, you might want to suffer one more call to VM, to specifically ask them for the ticket number and "review date" for your bit of the network.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds in Area 30

Hi there dizzypippa,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read you are experiencing slow broadband speeds.

I've managed to locate your account and it appears you are affected by a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004175974 and has a review date 17th May.

If there is anything else I can do, let me know.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
didger2007
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Nice to see somebody "apparently in the know"says a review is taking place on Mar17th, but posts this on Mar18th, therefore, would anybody like to inform us wether or not, these poor speeds in area30 are going to be rectified anytime soon?

0 Kudos
adamrox
Just joined
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So what happened on 17th May? Joined Virgin Media in December last year on a 100mb package but never even got to 50mb yet been as low as 1.35mb. When we joined had an engineer out because of the slow speeds, he 'tweaked' the speeds but that didn't last. Will this be sorted before I leave at the end of the year?

0 Kudos
Joe92
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"Will this be sorted before I leave at the end of the year?"

There is absolutely no issue, whatsoever, of you leaving anytime within you contract and without penalty due purely and simply to the fact that VM cannot provide you with the service you have purchased (your over subscription fault number). You'd be far from the first and far from the last to do this.

0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am affected by the same ticket number and, surprise surprise, the review date has been moved to 3rd January 2018.

Seriously, the total lack of any positive closures on any of the threads on this forum appears to suggest that VM are doing nothing to solve these problems and are just constantly moving the review dates. At the same time they are merrily signing up new customers, into areas that they know are already over-utilised.

They will continue to do this, regardless of whether people decide to leave, until someone forces them to change. Given that CISAS/OFCOM do not appear to have the will or the way to do so, it's probably time to look for an alternative option.

0 Kudos